We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Please :)

Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Help Please :)

I'm sorry to sound ignorant, but i was wondering, would i have a hard time ordering food and getting around if i don't speak or understand the language at all? And is it relatively safe, say to travel with friends if we are around 17, but we do have a few 18-19year olds with us?

I appreciate any info or opinions

thank you :)

Newton...
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Please :)

Everyone I met spoke English. I felt bad never asking if they spoke English first but Icelanders aren't French. They didn't seem to mind. I have to think Iceland is the safest place on earth. The only issues are noisy nightclubs letting out at four am. At least they're happy drunks.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Please :)

I agree with Ed, everyone speaks English

Best of luck with you planning

Jonas

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Please :)

We are a bit older but we felt very safe as a couple, even out very late at night.

Just speak English. The first day there, I asked people if they spoke English prior to beginning a conversation and they all reacted like I was asking a dumb question; one person even looked insulted. After the first day, I dropped it and just started speaking English to people. It was no problem. If you feel awkward about it, our best trick was to approach people while we were speaking English to each other and they would just start the conversation in English. Hope you have a great time!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Please :)

We were there in May and always felt safe, took public transport at Midnight, everyone speaks English and was very helpful and friendly, its a great country have fun!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Please :)

Yep and the English spoken is, in most cases, better than that from those of us, who speak it as a first language. Dont even bother to ask, just speak. You will soon find out. I only found 1 person in my 3 trips so far to Iceland, who could not, but she knew what I wanted, and her eyes said it all.:-))))))))

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
351 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Please :)

I make it a point that I learn at least 50 words of the language of any country I visit. It's a good idea to spend 30 minutes learning words like:

Excuse Me : Av-sak-idh.

Please: Vinsamlegast

Thank you very much: Takk Fyrir

Yes: Yao

No : Nei

Goodbye: BlessBless

Last one, say with me : Eyya-Fyatla-yer-cudll !!! That might be the toughest word. I've spent an hour or so trying to pronounce it. Once I realized the pronumciation of "double "ll" (TL), it became easier.

Enjoy Iceland, we are leaving in 4 days. Great help from all people here including the super friendly Icelanders tells me we are going to the best country in the world.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2306868/Worlds-…

Edited: 18 May 2013, 05:08
Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
351 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Please :)

Maybe this one would put smiles on some Icelanders' faces, or maybe they will laugh at me:

Yek er frao bandaríkyunum : I am from the USA !!!!!

Pls note that I have spelt the words like you would pronounce them...not as they are supposed to be written :)

Edited: 18 May 2013, 05:12
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help Please :)

No no, it didn't bring forward any laugh AT you, but perhaps a smile WITH you, yes :-) Any attempt from non-Icelandic speakers to speak Icelandic is much appreciated because we know well how incredibly hard our language can be like. Especially the pronunciation. Any attempt to speaking Icelandic can be a perfect conversation starter.

The "k" in Yek (more specifically the "g" in the Icelandic spelling: Ég) is smooth and can be compared to what the Spanish G often sound like. Not exaggerating like you are saying them with your throat, but more smooth. Haha I'm not sure if this makes any sense but it doesn't matter. It's not fun if you will pronounce the words 100% correct! Then there will be nothing to talk about.

Mentioned in this post
Icelandic Street Food
Icelandic Street Food
1,160 Reviews
Reykjavik, Iceland
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help Please :)

northice, makes sense to me, and you are always so polite, takk fyrir, it is all the 'accents' that get to me, when to add, and when not too, there does not seem to be a rule, and it's necessary, too do because it changes the sound and pronunciation so dramaticall :-))

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
66 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help Please :)

I always thought Japan was the safest place I'd ever been until I went to Iceland. Walking around town at 3 am, no problem.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe