We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping in Iceland...

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
18 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping in Iceland...

I've read that you don't tip in restaurants in Iceland. What about for tour guides? Whenever I have done guided tours in other countries, I've always tipped the guide. I certainly would not want to offend anyone by either tipping or not tipping.

Also, does anyone know if Discover cards are widely accepted? My Discover has no foreign transaction fees and was hoping to use it as my bank cc charges 3%

Thanks!

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Tipping in Iceland...

Our person who cleans our room here at the Hilton has been amazing...extra towels to take to Blue Lagoon, extra coffee in room, and overall a very hard working person. I think she was pleasantly surprised when I tipped her this morning. I figured I'd rather give her the ten for towels than renting them out at the BL.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Tipping in Iceland...

No tipping is not customary in Iceland. If you want to give your guide or someone else a special thank you, a bottle of wine for intance is much more suitable.

13. Re: Tipping in Iceland...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2014, 06:20