We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Icelandair

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
2 posts
Save Topic
Icelandair

Is there any reason I should avoid Icelandair?

I've read conflicting opinions. I'm looking for budget travel to London, returning from Paris, and the flights are so much cheaper than other airlines. I regularly fly "budget" airlines within the US, so I'm not as concerned with space as I am with service, luggage, etc. I did also read something about strange seat options, and I'm looking to book traveling with 2 kids, so I'm hoping the seats will recline (at least somewhat), and we can put the armrests up.

Any advice appreciated!!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Icelandair

Icelandair had very interesting beginnings. Good story!

Alaska
Level Contributor
9 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Icelandair

Did they have free meals for everyone from Seattle to Keflavik?

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
2,742 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Icelandair

No - see :

www.icelandair.us/information/on-board/meals/

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
177 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Icelandair

I've only used Icelandair once (so far), roundtrip from Seattle to Reykjavik. It was awesome! The planes were super clean, the flight attendants were extremely nice, the programming on the TVs was good, and there were cute touches like little phrases on the pillows and napkins. Oh, and the magazine was good. I would definitely recommend Icelandair! No need to hesitate.

I'm sooooooo so happy now that they have announced direct flights from my hometown (Edmonton, Canada), to Reykjavik, and then on to mainland Europe. I will definitely choose Icelandair over any other airline if they go where I want to be.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Icelandair

We flew with them last year on our honeymoon, and they were really great. My husband had food poisoning on our return flight, and they were so kind and concerned! They moved us up to business class so he could stretch out and try to sleep. I found the plane to be extraordinarily clean and staff friendly and positive.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Icelandair

My experience of Icelandair was very poor because they managed to leave everyone's (yes all the passengers) luggage in New York. And as if this wasn't bad enough they handled the situation very badly. We were without our bags for 5 days. Despite only making a very limited purchase of toiletries and one change of underclothes - they still did not fully refund us for this! The flight was in late December 2013 - New York to Reykjavik.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
137 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Icelandair

We flew with Icelandair in December return trip from the UK and had no problems. At that time the UK was having really bad weather with flights cancelled - ours was fine and even though bumpy due to the weather I have no complaints

18. Re: Icelandair

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2017, 04:30
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Icelandair

I have flown with them 4 times, and 8 if I count return flights, and never had a problem.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Icelandair

Unfortunately I do not have great things to say about Iceland Air. I was excited for their cheap flights and accessible alternative to Europe. Too bad things went poorly. I flew Vancouver – Edmonton – Reykjavik – Helsinki at the eng of August. There were no complimentary beverages or food for an international flight, which I thought was surprising, but could also let slide by. Our flight departing Iceland was late but again, that’s part of the industry. When I arrived in Helsinki the really bad customer service began. They had lost my bag. And not just lost it, but will put it on the next flight, but lost it as in we don’t’ know where it is. The customer service person in Helsinki was horribly rude (she actually came up to me when the baggage carousel stopped and I was looking in panic and asked me rudely what I was waiting for. What did she think, a latte?). Firstly, Iceland Air has yet to apologize for the matter. It took 6 days to get my bag to me, by which time I was onto St. Petersburg, and they did not provide any customer service regarding how much I am allowed to spend daily to cover necessities, how to track my bag, whom to contact etc. I was left completely in the dark wondering what the next steps were. Finally, after much tweeting, the Iceland Air Twitter account became helpful and actually informed me that they had found my bag after 4 days in Edmonton (funny, it was in the terminal where I flew through…) and proceeded to tell me when it would arrive in Russia and where to send my receipts to. It is now October and I’m still waiting to be reimbursed for clothing, taxis, and toiletries. When I submitted my receipts, I had to reply or information sent to me until I inquired a month later, at which point they told me a cheque had been mailed. When I inquired again about where this cheque was, they blamed the Canadian mail system and told me it was my fault. Again, no customer service, no apologies, and no recognition that has they put minimal time and effort into my file beforehand I would not be so angry. They were no proactive, they did not acknowledge their mistakes, they did not attempt to inform me of what to do next or how to go about this process. I will do everything in my power to avoid flying Iceland Air again because I can’t imagine what would happen if I missed a connection or some other problem and how they would blame me for that one too. Worst airline experience I’ve ever had.