We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is End of November a good time for Northern Lights sighting?

California
Level Contributor
144 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Is End of November a good time for Northern Lights sighting?

I know this probably has been posted a million times and I've read a ton of them talking about the condition required for Northern lights to be visible and many sites suggests March - April and October-November are the peak for northern light sighting. I am just really curious if end of November (11/27/13-12/5/13) is still a good time to try catching some Northern lights? Also, if Reykjavik is not an ideal location to hunt for the northern lights, where is a good nearby location?

We are also thinking about booking a local northern lights hunting tour, any suggestions?

Lastly, is the end of November ideal for us to rent a car and drive around on our own?

Many thanks for answering my questions in advance.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
10,122 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is End of November a good time for Northern Lights sighting?

"Yes" to all the questions, except about Reykjavík being ideal for aurora hunt. I mean, it's not impossible... but it's not 'ideal' either.

About tours, you could try to google something like 'private aurora borealis tailor-made tours' because there are tour operators out there that can just have all plans open, and take you every day where the cloud cover is thinner - combining the aurora hunt with other day tours.

California
Level Contributor
144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is End of November a good time for Northern Lights sighting?

Thank you for responding to my post....I was researching for car rental and reading some of the driving condition kind of scare me...but I think it's way more fun to drive around on our own than be on the tour...except for the northern light hunting...=) I think I am going to do another posting to see if anyone would recommend a good and reasonably priced private aurora borealis tailor-made tours. Thanks again! =)

3. Re: Is End of November a good time for Northern Lights sighting?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 September 2013, 17:35
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
15 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is End of November a good time for Northern Lights sighting?

I am also thinking of going to Reykjavik over Thanksgiving, but having never been someplace where there is only five hours of daylight, will it still be worthwhile at this time of year? Will our other sightseeing (thinking blue lagoon, horseback riding, etc.) be significantly curtailed? Is the city vibrant enough after dark?

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is End of November a good time for Northern Lights sighting?

There's actually more light than that. It's 5 hours from sunrise to sunset, but you still get light an hour or so before and after sunrise and sunset. See here:

http://www.sunrisesunset.com/predefined.asp

Choose Reykjavik and tick the Civil Twilight option and you'll get some idea of when you have useful light.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is End of November a good time for Northern Lights sighting?

Oh, and Reykjavik is very vibrant after dark on Friday and Saturday, until about 5 or 6am. Vibrant like nowhere else I've been. In fact, some people got so vibrant they had to lie down and sleep it off.

California
Level Contributor
144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is End of November a good time for Northern Lights sighting?

Thank you so much, ilas65! The link is awesome! I just printed out a sunset/sunrise calendar for November and December. It looks like we will get about 6-7 hours worth of daylight altogether. I am not too worry about the vibrancy of Reykjavik as we probably will be busy hunting/chasing for northern lights when the sun's gone.

I am just keeping my fingers crossed that there will be northern lights to see.....

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is End of November a good time for Northern Lights sighting?

One advantage of late sunrises is that you can get the dawn light in places like Gulfoss without having to get up too early. At that time of year and that far north, the light in the mornings and evenings can be amazing, providing the weather cooperates. If you're keen on photography, it's easier to get there for the blue hour (or golden hour), which pretty much corresponds with civil twilight. This is a good site:

jekophoto.eu/tools/…index.php

It gives details of sunrise/sunset, blue hour, moon rise and moon set, and the directions each will be in on a specific day.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is End of November a good time for Northern Lights sighting?

We are thinking of taking a package tour from Icelandair this November-we're seniors....we had 3 dream vacations....1. Sequoia National Park to see General Sherman Tree.....2. Gibraltar to see the monkeys and now our 3rd - Iceland.....our dream(s) will be complete.......There is a package to stay at hotel 3 nights, flight, breakfast daily and includes northern lights boat sightseeing and trip to Blue Lagoon. It's $689....what do you think? Hotels are Center hotels -ex. Skjaidbreid or Klopp....thank you, marlyn and herb from Philly.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
15 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is End of November a good time for Northern Lights sighting?

Marilyn and Herb - I am also from Philly and will be doing the same package with my daughter.