We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadian in Iceland

Toronto
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
Canadian in Iceland

My daughter is travelling to Reykjavik soon. She does not have a credit card, but does have a bank card from a Canadian bank. We'll check with our bank before she goes to make sure, but do you know if Canadian (TD) bank cards work at the ATMs there? Should I get her a credit card instead?

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
9,819 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadian in Iceland

A tiny question... "get her"? She's not too young, is she?

In my opinion it would be a very good idea to have a credit card, specially when travelling. There are CC that work as 'debit' in the sense that you can only use a pre-paid amount. Iceland is very much credit-card oriented, I don't know why.

Well, about your TD question, I hope somebody will have some experience to share with you. Me, I only have the local cards :))))

Best regards!

Diane

Alberta
Level Contributor
103 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadian in Iceland

If you bank with TD, have you looked into their new enhanced Visa debit cards? They have the functionality of a debit card, where funds are debited at the point of sale from your bank account rather than charged, but the Visa integration allows it to be accepted more universally, and only charges the usual foreign conversion rates on purchases.

These have been around forever in the U.S. (I had one in 2003 and it worked great) but are surprisingly slow to come to Canada.

Here's a link:

…theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/…

Toronto
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadian in Iceland

She is not "too young" but she is a student and would not qualify for her own card, so I would just another card with her name on it (just for this trip - emergencies only!). Thanks for the advice, I am heading to the bank today.

Toronto
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Canadian in Iceland

Very good! Thank you!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canadian in Iceland

I would get her a credit card, just in case. I have a debit card (from the US), which I used almost everywhere - HOWEVER I did have one restaurant that it was declined. Fortunately I also had a credit card and was able to use that. Prior to my kids being of the age to get their own cards I always had cards with their names just for travel purposes. They needed to give them back after the trips too :)

Toronto
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Canadian in Iceland

I checked and the Visa/Debit card is only for online use so I will take that advice Donna322. Thank you.

7. Re: Canadian in Iceland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2014, 06:19