We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is January a busy month?

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Is January a busy month?

Hi, we are planning our Reykjavik break between 2-6 of Jan. The plan is:

Day 1 -city, whales and Northern Lights

Day 2 - Golden Circle + Fontana

Day 3 - Blue Lagoon

We don't plan to drive but take tours. I am wondering whether to book whales and Northern Lights (by boat) in advance or will it be possible to buy those on the day of the tours? How busy January is? It's mentioned that boat tours depend on the weather and I dont want to risk it.

Also, is it better to go by boat or bus to see Northern Lights?

I also really want to take South Shore tour but then it means sacrificing something, do you think it's worth to swap whales for South Shore? I guess we can see most of the city on the day of arrival/evenings? Thank you.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,728 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is January a busy month?

January is usually the slowest month.

Just book when you arrive, based on weather forecasts.

Or if you want a specific operator, then it´s best to book ahead.

Level Contributor
77 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is January a busy month?

Im going the same dates and doing blue lagoon on arrival which would free up one of your days.

As heard that northern lights by boats isnt a good idea if you want to photograph them. Not sure if its the best month for whale watching either but sure someone could advise you more.

Edited: 11 December 2013, 23:16
Level Contributor
77 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is January a busy month?

Im going the same dates and doing blue lagoon on arrival which would free up one of your days

Edited: 11 December 2013, 23:20
Level Contributor
77 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is January a busy month?

Think we may do a superjeep tour for the northern lights.

Edited: 11 December 2013, 23:21
Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,728 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is January a busy month?

Yeah, something like these people did.

https:/…

London, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is January a busy month?

Thank you for your answers. Unfortunately our friends arrive about 5 pm and depart early so I don't think we will be able to do Blue Lagoon on those days though it would be ideal. We've got one extra day but staying in Keflavik last night so I am not sure if any tours pick up tourists there to do something else over 6th.

London, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is January a busy month?

Thanks for advising on the boat trip, our friends are into photography so probably we will need to take an auto tour, jeeps seem expensive though....

Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
75 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is January a busy month?

There are orca whale watching tours out of Grudarfjordur in January. Check on Laki Tours. The orcas gather offshore in order to eat the herring.

9. Re: Is January a busy month?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2014, 05:17