We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cheshire
Level Contributor
29 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Clothing

We are arriving on Friday 3rd, any advice on best clothing, would salopettes be a bit OTT? or would over trousers be better? How cold is it!!!! Any other tips would be appreciated as only just found out I am going - birthday surprise!!!

Cardiff
Level Contributor
265 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothing

I'm packing my salopettes for our Northern Lights tour but for the daytime I've got some fleece lined winter trek trousers. We've also bought thermal base layers, thin fleece tops and good windproof/waterproof jackets. Mountain Warehouse have a decent sale at the moment if you have one near you.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,778 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothing

Warm, warm, warm layers, and windproof outer layers. Good sturdy, waterproof shoes. And some type of ice grips are necessary now, I like these: https://www.yaktrax.co.uk

evesham,uk
Level Contributor
329 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothing

Here at the moment. Wind proof is key. Layers also a priority as super hot if u go inside anywhere. I have been wearing leggings and north face trousers as well as big coat, fleece and vest and have been lovely and toasty!! Don't forget hat,scarf and gloves though!!

cheshire
Level Contributor
29 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothing

thankyou for the tips, just packing now!!!!!!

Edited: 01 January 2014, 19:53
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clothing

hi - will be there at the end of the month. i think i have a good sense of what's needed for daytime and exploring outside the city. but, what is appropriate attire for going to a nice dinner, out to bars, etc?

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Clothing

I have thermal base layers with thermal jumpers along with a water/windproof ski jacket and salopettes

the below are great value trousers which are thermal lined for the day time I have these too.

sportsdirect.com/karrimor-winter-trousers-me…

Plus not forgetting the hat, scarf, gloves and my tog24 snow boots to keep my feet toastie warm

enjoy!!!

cheshire
Level Contributor
29 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clothing

Thankyou, here now and finding salopettes and fleeces doing the job nicely. Blue lagoon is a must. Wonderful place to visit

Edited: 05 January 2014, 20:13
cheshire
Level Contributor
29 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Clothing

Thankyou, just returned and that was exactly the clothing we used and proved to be perfect. Had fabulous time-

Whitehaven, United...
Level Contributor
196 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Clothing

Can reccomend the Yaktrax also. Just bought some. Sturdy good quality kit

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,778 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Clothing

I agree on the Yaktrax. We have had to many accidents past few weeks from people falling on the ice. And many have not been able to get out of the vehicle to see sites, due to icy paths.

https://www.yaktrax.co.uk