We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reykjavik in Winter

Austria
Level Contributor
66 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Reykjavik in Winter

My friend and i love the North in Winter - but looking t the travel forum everybody seems to be there in Summer. We'll be there around 22nd February for 5 nights - will there be any other tourists other than us (haha)? We know it'll be dark (sunshine in our hearts) but will we be able to do enough sightseeing - tours - drives etc ? Has anybody any tips for us?

I'd be sooooo grateful !

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,944 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reykjavik in Winter

There i enough time in late Feb. almost 12 hours of daylight.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
229 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Reykjavik in Winter

There are many things you can do in the wintertime in Iceland - travelling here over the wintertime is getting more and more popular every year :)

I would recommend you to do the 2 day tour to the Glacier Lagoon - Jökulsarlón. Included is a glacier hike too. Such a beautiful area. Just try to google it, I know for sure that there are some companies that offers it.

I would also recommend you to stay down town Reykjavik, then you are near to all the main sights and fun :) .... Loft Hostel should do the trick for you

Ideas of more tours: The must to do Golden Circle tour, Blue Lagoon and if you are looking for some real adventures and good chance catching the Northern Lights, then Landmannalaugar is the right place. TRULY amazing

All these tours are running in February!

California
Level Contributor
142 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reykjavik in Winter

We will be there on Feb 23 for 4 nights and stay in downtown area. We are so excited but a little bit scare about the cold weather. We are from Los Angeles and we are not handle the cold ver well.

Do you think we should rent a car or just book a tour? We will be stay at the same hotel for the whole trip.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
177 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reykjavik in Winter

My wife and I will be visiting at end of Feb. as well, so you will not be alone! And we are from Miami, so it could be quite a shock for us!

Edited: 08 January 2014, 04:33
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
229 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Reykjavik in Winter

In the wintertime I think it is better to have tours rather then renting cars. You never really know how the weather will be when you reach Iceland and how the roads will be.

Taking 1-3 day tours from Reykjavík should do the trick and allow you to see loads of things.

I know Extreme Iceland offers a lot of tours for example... Also Iceland Excursions. And for horse back riding, check out Laxnes horse farm, my favourite!

Austria
Level Contributor
66 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reykjavik in Winter

Dear Kamilla and Icelandguide. thank u for your replies and advice. U r probably right taking tours with a tour company rather than travel privately . I'm surprised daylight will last as long as almost 12 hours as I reckoned only about six. But that's a pleasant surprise. R u both guides Kamilla and Icelandguide?

And to our American friends: as we'll all be in Reykjavik at the same time we'll most probably meet on one of the busses... Look out for me ...:-)))

Austria
Level Contributor
66 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reykjavik in Winter

Thank u , Icelandguide

Austria
Level Contributor
66 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reykjavik in Winter

Thank u , Kamilla. :-))

Austria
Level Contributor
66 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reykjavik in Winter

Actually, I do have another question: I read that your minimum temperature is -2 degrees and maximum is 3 degrees. Does that mean you have more rain rather than snow? Over here in Austria it rains when there's only 0. 1, 2 or 3 degrees. Thank u for your reply.

Austria
Level Contributor
66 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reykjavik in Winter

Dear Kamilla and Icelandguide, thank u for your posts. I'm surprised to hear that daylight will last for so many hours ! I reckoned about 6 ... Good news. The sights you mentioned I also found among the Iceland activities and we'll certainly take your advice. And friends from L.A. And Miami : as we'll all be in Reykjavik at the same time we'll probably meet on one of the busses.

And Kamilla and Icelandguide - are you guides.?