We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting icelandic krona before getting to iceland

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Getting icelandic krona before getting to iceland

Hi- have just been told by one company that I have to get icelandic krona when I arrive as they have stopped people getting it outside the country as they are changing their notes over. Is this true? Anyone else heard this? Plus would it then be better to take cash and convert it at the airpot, to get it out the ATMs?

Thanks

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
12,281 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting icelandic krona before getting to iceland

It is very difficult to purchase krona in the UK, not recommended due to the low exchange rate.

The UK post office is currently offering a rate of 172 krona to the pound compared with 184 krona in Reykavik airport & 190 in Reykavik banks.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting icelandic krona before getting to iceland

Might i also ask if i exchange in the iceland banks, do they accept GBP or Euros? And do they charge for the exchange services? thanks

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting icelandic krona before getting to iceland

I cant answer about GBP, but they will not trade in Australian $ I was told to either trade Euro or USD as currency to change with ISK if this helps.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting icelandic krona before getting to iceland

Thank you for your information =D

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,204 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting icelandic krona before getting to iceland

They will accept GBP. Here are the exchange rates, branches and opening hours: http://www.landsbankinn.com/

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting icelandic krona before getting to iceland

We used our Canadian credit cards(CIBC and RY Visa) everywhere and got very good exchange rates with no foreign currency charges. Exchanged some $Cdn into Krona when we arrived which was used for tips for tour guides and small purchases.

ecosse
Level Contributor
151 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting icelandic krona before getting to iceland

We found the advice we were given that you can manage completely with credit cards only is absolutely correct. It's the only place I've ever been and not laid hands on the local currency, but they took cards everywhere and seemed happy to do so - even the bus around Reykjavik, you can buy tickets from the tourist office by card., and the smallest purchases in small shops, the same - and we did not get stung with transaction charges/ poor exchange rates.

8. Re: Getting icelandic krona before getting to iceland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2015, 05:19