We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which lavatube? Raufarhólshellir or Leiðarendi (or Dollan)?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Which lavatube? Raufarhólshellir or Leiðarendi (or Dollan)?

Hi, if we only have time for 1 lava tube, which one should we pick? visiting in 2 weeks time.

it seems to take the same amount of time from Reykjavik (30-40 min drive), and we plan to do this in combination with day trip around Reykjanes Peninsula, ending with a visit to Blue Lagoon

Also, comparing the links above, i wasnt sure if the route to Leiðarendi is permanently closed until the snow melts or not. i know SW Iceland just had a snowfall (so some roads appear close now but i know it's temp), but for the past several weeks when i check the iceland road website, it shows a segment of Route 417 (when coming from Route 42) being closed (the red color part on Route 417). So my question is, is Leiðarendi within this red color portion, or is it BEFORE the red color portion when coming from Route 42?

Raufarhólshellir http://goo.gl/maps/yvWwp

Leiðarendi http://goo.gl/maps/I1uY1

vegagerdin.is/english/…sw1.html

thank you in advance for advice

Mentioned in this post
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
Capital Region, Iceland
Reykjanes Peninsula
Reykjanes Peninsula
76 Reviews
Iceland
Blue Lagoon Iceland
Blue Lagoon Iceland
14,462 Reviews
Grindavik, Iceland
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
12,432 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which lavatube? Raufarhólshellir or Leiðarendi (or Dollan)?

You are going to choose Raufarhólshellir :) ... 'cause I'm getting to know you... :)))))))

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which lavatube? Raufarhólshellir or Leiðarendi (or Dollan)?

?!! diane, what is that supposed to mean :)

actually i still dont know which one to pick. Raufarhólshellir seems further away if i want to turn back from there back to Reykjanes peninsula and do the rest of the sites. so still curious whether Leiðarendi is accessible or not. and Leiðarendi has that lamb bones thing, what does Raufarhólshellir have?

Dollan seems possible either way as long as i am heading to BL becase they are nearby

Mentioned in this post
Reykjanes Peninsula
Reykjanes Peninsula
76 Reviews
Iceland
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
12,432 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which lavatube? Raufarhólshellir or Leiðarendi (or Dollan)?

The thing is that I'd chose Leiðarendi, but that's only because I've been there already. I'm not too sure about Raufarhólshellir. From what I read, it seems to have larger spaces than Leiðarendi. On the other hand, I would not go into Leiðarendi without a guide. Raufarhóls is easier in that respect. Also, the driving route after Raufarhóls could be easier.

From Leiðarendi you'd have to go past lake Kleifarvatn. It's really a gorgeous area, but it also truly requires the use of a nice jeep. About accessibility, I'm going to guess that the snow-cleaning machines turn around just after Leiðarendi ('cause there are scheduled tours to that cave every day, so I suppose the road is clear).

I've actually no idea what you're going to choose ... just kidding you ... .)))

Hey, I hope that after your trip you'll write a blog about it, and share it with all of us.

Best regards :)

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
12,432 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which lavatube? Raufarhólshellir or Leiðarendi (or Dollan)?

Note: you need a helmet for the caves !!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which lavatube? Raufarhólshellir or Leiðarendi (or Dollan)?

"On the other hand, I would not go into Leiðarendi without a guide."

why? is it because it's too narrow? like need to crawl type? or you can get lost within?

yes, we will be renting 4x4. likely getting honda crv or kia sportage. so should be good.

plan to write trip summary, yes! :)

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
12,432 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which lavatube? Raufarhólshellir or Leiðarendi (or Dollan)?

You have to crawl, on your belly, in a way that you have to take your backpack off your back (I'm talking of Leiðarendi). Also, the cave has the shape of a curved line with a zero in the middle, if you know what I mean. It could make me 'nervous' ... Raufarhólshellir apparently is just in and out through the same hole (Leiðarendi has two holes, very near to each other).

I look forward to reading your trip summary... when it is 'released' :)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which lavatube? Raufarhólshellir or Leiðarendi (or Dollan)?

ooops. i have done those kind of crawling so know what you mean

sound like Raufarhólshellir is probably more up our alley for that particular day, esp if we want to do it first thing in the morning :)

Raufarhólshellir - looking fwd to hearing from anyone else who hasbeen to this tube to see how much crawling is needed. but i have heard adults bringing young kids there so i think you are right, this one is probably easier and more family-friendly.

8. Re: Which lavatube? Raufarhólshellir or Leiðarendi (or Dollan)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2015, 06:17