We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

us to icelandic isk exchange

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, New York
1 post
Save Topic
us to icelandic isk exchange

When I purchased our airline tickets for Iceland, my bank (B of A) charged me a hefty fee. Turns out they charge for any purchase outside of the country. Has anyone heard of this? I'm trying to find out how to avoid that. If I use an ATM in Reykjavik or go to a bank there and make the exchange, I'll incur a large fee from my bank. I'm thinking I should pull out the cash in the US and go to a bank once there. Ideas?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: us to icelandic isk exchange

Tricia, yes I get all those big charges too. I only use cash travelling for this very reason. I buy it in Iceland - better rate. It's an individual thing. Many say differently and get away with using only card. I pay charges on all purchases each time. Enjoy

Port Saint Lucie...
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: us to icelandic isk exchange

Some credit cards have no foreign transaction fees. I have two like that (Chase Sapphire Preferred and Amex Delta Gold). Both have annual fees, but waived the first year. Might be worth looking into if you have time.

It seems strange you were charged a foreign transaction fee for airline tickets, though. Did you buy them in ISK?

2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: us to icelandic isk exchange

B of A has 3% extra fee, which is unavoidable...I got charged too:(((

will be in Iceland next week!!! waiting for the answers...

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,731 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: us to icelandic isk exchange

Bring your currency with you, and change it into Isk. in a bank, once here.

http://www.landsbankinn.com/

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: us to icelandic isk exchange

This has come up before.

If this is a purchase of a ticket on Icelandair, on their US website, for a ticket from the US to anywhere they fly, there are some credit card companies that are charging you a foreign transaction fee for the purchase....this is an inappropriate charge. DO NOT PAY IT!

Icelandair charges for tickets sold via their US website, for travel from the US, in USD. The credit card company has no right to charge a foreign transaction fee, when the charge posted to your account was made in USD.

When you make a booking on Icelandair, you should get 2 e-mails; the invoice, and the flight ticket. The invoice e-mail clearly states that your credit card is being charged in USD, by Icelandair from their US address:

Icelandair North America

1900 Crown Colony Dr.

Quincy, MA 02169

USA

Tel: (877) I - FLY - ICE

It really is important to fight this charge, as it is wrong.

A ticket sold by Icelandair in the US is billed and charged in USD....not ISK. There should be no foreign transaction fee charged, as the transaction did not involve a foreign currency..

Call your CC company and dispute the charge. You e-mailed invoice clearly states that you were charged USD, not any other currency.

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
69 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: us to icelandic isk exchange

Sorry to hi-jack. What kind of fees does anyone know what the bank changes foreign currency to Isk? Are there many branches of thelandsinn, or just in Rek? I am quite sure it will be better than our banks here in Canada.Any further comment to this topic would be kindly appreciated. Thank you.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,731 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: us to icelandic isk exchange

All the info is here: http://www.landsbankinn.com/

8. Re: us to icelandic isk exchange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2015, 05:17