We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wild camping in Iceland in July - weather?

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Topic
wild camping in Iceland in July - weather?

Hi all,

we are a Young couple planning a one week trip to Iceland in mid July. Accomodations there are far to expensive for us, so we read about wild camping which is possible there. Honestly, I dont know if I camped two times in my life, so we are really beginners and I have many questions. We are only allowed to bring cabin luggage to the plane, so we plan to buy a small tent but waterproof of course, up to 3 kilos only. We Will also have a sleeping bag each. would these be ok?

I would kindly ask you to please advice on the weather in July. We Will take hostels in the north cuz its colder, but the rest of the trip we camp. Is it very cold in the night? is it possible to stop by the road, walk a bit inside and put a tent? is this kind of tent enough or you need some special gear for these conditions?

we are really not "campers", but we would love to try for once... i imagine the scenery has to be fantastic. Also the prices are too high for us, even in hostels, so this is the only option....

Thank you very much

Cinisello Balsamo...
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wild camping in Iceland in July - weather?

Have you rented a car?

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: wild camping in Iceland in July - weather?

hey. yes we have rented the car so in the worst case (if weater does not permit to camp) we sleep in it. any advice about wild camping please??

Norway
Level Contributor
1,752 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wild camping in Iceland in July - weather?

Wild camping is possible in some areas and more difficult in others. In the national park areas wild camping is not allowed. In general I do not recommend wild camping with tent. All over Iceland there are camp sites and usually the price for camping with a tent is very reasonable, so I recommend staying in a camp site instead of wild camping. This has many advantages, such as access to toilets and showers, much easier to put up tent on a prepared grass field instead of rocky uneven ground etc.

As long as you do not go into the highlands you will be fine with any normal camping tent, lots of people use that for camping in the summer. It can be a bit windy some times.

Weather in July can be anything, sunny or rainy, windy or calm. Expect a bit of everything. July is the warmest month, but it can be cool, so you should have reasonably warm sleeping bags (and sleeping mats or air matresesses). I do not think there is a very big difference between north and south with regards to temperature.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: wild camping in Iceland in July - weather?

Might be worth renting a good quality tent in Reyk. It may end up a similar price to your purchased tent, but you'll likely get a much higher quality product - and be warmer, drier...

AirBnB www.airbnb.com/tell-a-friend… can also sometimes be cheaper for two people than paying 2x hostel fees.

Otherwise, for (mostly) paid camping sites: www.visiticeland.com/Accommodation/Camping/

Occasional places are free, and still have toilets & showers.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: wild camping in Iceland in July - weather?

thank you for your advice.

thats a great idea, we will do the paying camping, although we wanted to be somewhere more alone and intimate.... but there is a need for shower and toilets of course. How much does it cost per person? Do u need to prebook it in the summer, or you can just come and thats it?

Also, I wanted to ask you if there is any icelandic page where people rent their rooms in their houses and its really cheap? i dont know, it exists in slovenia and its super cheap, so i just wanted to ask.... thanks

Cinisello Balsamo...
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wild camping in Iceland in July - weather?

I asked you about the car rental, because me and my girlfriend will be in Iceland in August and we have rented a mini-van for the same price as a car (slightly more, to be honest), but it is equipped with a "bed" in the back which you can sleep in without worrying about tent, campground, weather and other difficulties.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wild camping in Iceland in July - weather?

Hi Sabrina,

Camping in Iceland is extremely joyful and clearly the least expensive way to visit Iceland. I would definitely recommend either renting the equipment at the Icelandic camping equipment store or simply renting the whole package at www.campingiceland.is

July is the warmest month in Iceland so I would definitely recommend it for camping in Iceland :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: wild camping in Iceland in July - weather?

> somewhere more alone and intimate.... but there is a need for shower and toilets of course.

Difficult in July, but avoiding the main destinations will give you a quieter spot.

> How much does it cost per person?

From free to maybe 15 euro per site.

> Do u need to prebook it in the summer, or you can just come and thats it?

Should be fine not to book for a tent site.

> Also, I wanted to ask you if there is any icelandic page where people rent their rooms in their houses

See the AirBnb link I posted...

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: wild camping in Iceland in July - weather?

The cheapest and easiest way to camp is to hire a basic campervan at sites such as Happy Campers and Easy Camp. They come equipped with all the basic equipment - beds, bedding, cooker, pots & pans, cutlery etc. we free camped everywhere except Reykjavik and as for showers - bathe in the numerous hot pools many of which are natural and free!

You can rent camping equipment and a car - Bed Breakfast Keflavik have this service, but we preferred the freedom of a camper

Israel
Level Contributor
527 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: wild camping in Iceland in July - weather?

Hi Sabrinca,

Could you share the name of the Slovenian website you mentioned, with rooms for rent to travellers ?

Thanks