We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

November Reykjavik - Self Drive/Car rental?

Philadelphia...
14 posts
Save Topic
November Reykjavik - Self Drive/Car rental?

I'm thinking of booking the deal through Travelzoo for a 5 or 7 night trip to Reykjavik. I am confused as to whether there are enough self-drive day trips from the home-base of Reykjavik for 5 or 7 nights or if I should just look into staying at different towns throughout the trip so we can cover more territory. I'm afraid the day trips back and forth to Reykjavik could get tiresome and given the lesser hours of daylight that time of the year, will it be safe to drive at night? I could consider using tour providers, but my husband and I are more independent travelers and the cost of the tours probably is much more than if we rented a car, no? Please help! Thanks!

Travelling Iceland
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
IcelandinaTaxi.is
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: November Reykjavik - Self Drive/Car rental?

I recommend that you not use Reykjavik for a base for your whole time (if you do 7 days) since, while I love it, there is not much to do and there is little variety in the routes to/from Reykjavik. I would recommend using both Reykjavik and Akureyri as bases. There are great sights to see along the road from Reykjavik as well. Use Reykjavik as a base to see Thingvellir/Geysir/Gullfoss/Skalholt etc. and then use Akureyri as base to see Myvatn, Hverir, Dettifoss, Godafoss. Sounds like a lot but these sights are clustered. I do not know what the weather will be like since I have only been in the spring but it is variable so you need to be prepared for anything (Iceland's weather is more like Scotland, not Canada). Don't do a tour, it is very easy to drive as there is little traffic and the main roads are well marked. I have driven at night with no problem. I like Atak car rental as they are very flexible in policy and they'll retrieve the car, etc. so you don't need to find them on the outskirts of Reykjavik.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Philadelphia...
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: November Reykjavik - Self Drive/Car rental?

Thanks for your insights. How about just a 5 night version?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
37 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: November Reykjavik - Self Drive/Car rental?

Well, for the shorter version you could use Reykjavik as a base but I would strongly encourage an excursion out to Thingvillir, Gulfoss, etc. for a day instead of only exploring the town. You could also go out to the Blue Lagoon although I preferred the low cost city spas in town. If you're up for a bigger hike you could go up to Glymer for the day.

Quezon City...
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: November Reykjavik - Self Drive/Car rental?

In November, you need to be careful with roads as they are icy during winter months. But if you have experience in driving on icy roads, renting a car wouldn’t be a problem. You can read safety measure in driving in Iceland here: northernlightsiceland.com/driving-in-iceland/ I suggest you stay in Reykjavik for 5 days, on the first day, this will be your arrival, you can explore Reykjavik and go Northern Lights hunting in the evening, travel the Golden Circle route on day 2 and then the south coast on day 3. Do all sorts of activities on Day 4 and 5 like snorkeling in Silfra, caving in lava tubes, horseback riding and a lot more. You can then move to Skaftafell and check in at hotel in there. You can also have a stopover at Vik and spend the night there. There are only 4-5 hours of daylight in November so you might want to have a stopover at places. If you chose Vik to be your stopover, you can explore Vik for a day then travel to Skaftafell, there are lots to see there, waterfalls, glaciers, etc. And while you’re there have a little look-see at Jokulsarlon Glacial Lagoon. Its floating blue chunks of ice will awe you. Go back to Reykjavik day 9 and have a relaxing time at Blue Lagoon.

Mentioned in this post
Iceland
Iceland
Europe
5. Re: November Reykjavik - Self Drive/Car rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2015, 05:15