We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

another budget question for winter

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
169 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
another budget question for winter

Hi. We will going to London in March 2015 and would love to include Iceland in our itinerary. However, being able to go will depend on how much we need to spend, so I'm hoping to get advice on how to streamline our budget. We will be 3 in the group.

If the initial itinerary pushes through, we will be in Iceland from March 26 (arriving at night), leaving April 1 at 740 am, leaving us 5 full days in Iceland.

I've been reading that self-drive is a cheaper way to tour Iceland but we are not open to this option, as we are not used to driving in winter and feel that driving in unfamiliar territory would add stress to our vacation.

So, I've searched and compared tours from different companies, and this three day itinerary basically covers everything we want to see: www.igtours.is/eng/catalog/tour93.html. Here, we will be going to:

Thingvellir

Gullfoss

Geyser Strokkur

Sólheimar (overnight there)

black sandy beach Reynisfjara

Fjarðarárgljúfur

Kirkjubæjarklaustur

Vatnajökull (Fjallsárlón and Jökulsárlón)

Sólheimajökull 

Blue Lagoon

Price for this is ISK 91,000.00. Is there a cheaper way to do this on our own without having to drive? I checked and bus passes seem not to be available during winter.

Also, are there buses running to Snaefellsnes during winter?

Thank you in advance.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
177 posts
521 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: another budget question for winter

I have just returned from Iceland (late May) and saw almost the same sights as are on this three day tour but I did it in a rental car. Public transport options for most of these places aren't available, so the only other way is to do a 3 day tour or a series of one day tours. I think the ISK 91,000 represents pretty good value. The other thing to consider is clothing - you'll need a full set of winter clothing. We were there at the end of May and the temperature didn't get above 10 degrees most days. I'd encourage you to include Iceland as it is one of the most magic places I've been to.

Edited: 28 June 2014, 13:54
Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
169 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: another budget question for winter

Hi Michael2810, thank you very much for your feedback. I'd feel better going on the tour knowing that public transport isn't available. Thanks for the tip on clothing, I have to take that in mind as I am not used winter temperatures!

Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
8,482 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: another budget question for winter

One tip on clothing that is often overlooked. Cotton is a no-no. It just doesn't work to isolate from the cold. Same thing goes for any type of cotton blends. Jeans = no. Cotton socks = absolutely not.

Gore-tex, fleece, wool, synthetics, all of these can work.

Water resistant or water proof is a good thing.

Think also about having multiple layers of cloting. There is no "ultimate cold weather" jacket or pants available on the planet. Long sleeves and think in layers (inner layer, middle layer, outer layer).

Neccessary accessories: Beanie, buff, gloves (2-3 sets), scarf wool socks, wool underwear etc.

Edited: 29 June 2014, 01:44
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: another budget question for winter

mni... you are a group of three, have you considered having a private guide. It MIGHT work out Ok. Enquire at these people if you choose to do so www.tour.is They would organise it all for you including accom. I recommend them.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
292 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: another budget question for winter

In March best for you to have the scheduled 2 day tour for South Coast and Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon ... now also possible to have that tour as 3 day tour and then visit a ice cave on the middle day ... and then you need one day for the golden circle ... can be bus tour or super-jeep tour or even tour with snowmobiling up to your wishes ... and you can do this cheaper .... full day bus tour for the golden circle cost ISK 9500 per person and the 2 day tour for South Coast and Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon cost ISK 45.900 per person, accommodation in double/ twin room with private bathroom and glacier hiking included as well as northern light hunt both evenings .... so price per person in total = 9500 + 45.900 = ISK 55.400 ... or much cheaper then the package you talk about.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
169 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: another budget question for winter

Thank you very much Thorkell H! May I know which tour operator you looked up for the 2 day South Coast and Jokulsarlon at ISK 45,900? Do they also run the 3 day tour with ice cave visit? Thanks!!

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
292 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: another budget question for winter

Extreme Iceland is offering both 2 and 3 day tours for the South Coast to Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon:

extremeiceland.is/en/sightseeing-tours/overn…

extremeiceland.is/en/activity-tours-iceland/…

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
169 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: another budget question for winter

Thanks! Really helpful, I think it 's just the info I need.

9. Re: another budget question for winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2015, 05:17