We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Iceland

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas in Iceland

Hello,

My partner and I are spending Christmas and New years in Reykjavík. Super excited.

Hoping for some recommendations on what areas to stay in. We want to enjoy as much as possible over a 2 week period. We don't want to be too far out of town, and would prefer to get around on foot/ public transort safely.

If anyone can recommend the best areas to stay in this city, that would be great.

C

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in Iceland

hello Carly There are so many places to stay in Reykjavik and if you want to be out a bit perhaps Havnafjordur (city bus access) or the burbs in and around. I can recommend this place to you though, having stayed. Aurora Guesthouse is in the middle of town, and situated close to the church Hallgrimskjirku. Fireworks, buy from Ice-Sar, will be in easy reach. The accom are simple, clean and neat. Some rooms are shared facilities, including kitchens. Some have private ensuites, ask for that, if it is important to you. They are available. The owner Siggi, will go out of his way to assist. There are Reviews to see. Good Luck

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
292 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in Iceland

Far best to stay down town Reykjavik ... many hotels, guesthouses and apartments ... and then best to have guided group tours out from Reykjavik ... lava tube caving and the blue lagoon, the golden circle, the 2 day tour for South Coast and Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon, the 2 day tour for West Iceland and Snaefellsnes, etc.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
13 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in Iceland

Hi Carly, I too will be in Iceland over Christmas and New Years. I am staying at Centerhotel Plaza. I stayed there this past February and really liked it. You can arrange many tours through the front desk and a full breakfast is included. I am planning on taking many tours that pick you up at the hotel and venture to many wonderful sites such as lava tube caving and Jokulsarlon Glasier Lagoon.

I hired a car the first time around and really didn't have any problems, of course I didn't venture off of paved roads. I decided this time to just take the tours. I've heard that the weather can be quite a hand full and can come up all of a sudden.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in Iceland

Why don´t you just ask a local to help you make an itinerary ? These guys helped me out and they do it for free http://www.northernlightsiceland.com/ I wouldn´t wait long to book etc as hotels in Reykjavik get booked well in advance for Dec/New Years. Icelanders are very festive so this is a great time to visit.

Hafnarfjordur...
Level Contributor
66 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas in Iceland

As an alternative to down town Reykjavik you could also consider the adjacent towns all connected to the same simple city-bus system. As an alternative I could recommend the town Mosfellsbaer, a bit far out of the city (approx. 50 minutes bus ride) but with a much better chance of seeing the northern lights. Closer to the city is Hafnarfjordur (approx. 30 minutes bus ride) with it's own little town center and a "Christmas Town" on one of it's squares where you can get hot chocolate and various home/hand made things.

The tour companies do pick-ups anywhere in the capital area so central Reykjavik is not crucial in that regard.

Rental cars are an option if you are comfortable with driving on snowy or icy roads. They are not all like that but chances are you will be driving a bit of the main highway to see the sights and then you will encounter some of those roads.

Regarding an itinerary I would recommend you to google Iceland and choose the sights you want to see, mock up an itinerary and have us, the people on Trip Advisor, comment on it.

Good luck :)

6. Re: Christmas in Iceland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 11:16