We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a Car

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
192 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a Car

Is there much problems to rent a car in Iceland for Canadians? is procedure quite the same as anywhere else?

Should i get the rental car insurance?

Are drivers ok in Iceland?

Anything to be aware of with the car rental companies there?

Would i be ok with the large name brand of car rental companies?

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,742 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a Car

As far as I know, there aren't any special rules for Canadians. Get as much insurance as you feel you need, but certainly at least collision damage waiver (CDW) and gravel protection (the latter is vital in Iceland). Some places also do sand and ash protection, which people seem to be divided about. I've always used Blue Car rental, who have been excellent. I didn't take the sand and ash protection last time, because the forecast was for light winds and I was only on the south coast - where it's most likely to be needed - for two days.

Bear in mind the larger companies are really local franchises, and they're all - large and small - governed by the same laws.

There are cheaper places that do older cars, because car rental is expensive in Iceland, but it's worth checking the reviews on here if you're thinking about using them. Put it this way- it's why I didn't.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a Car

Please, please, please read my review about NOT renting from Hertz at the Keflavik airport. I also offer some good advice no matter who you rent from!

Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
8,012 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a Car

Should i get the rental car insurance?

Yes. Some insurances I believe are mandatory while others are optional. Ask whether there are mandatory insurances and if they are included in the price.

-

Are drivers ok in Iceland?

No. We're fighting our way to be considered worse than Italian drivers, seriously. Oh, and we drive (and make) roundabouts in a strange way to many foreigners. Beware of the roads too, they are sometimes weird (think of Alberta back roads, half size lengthwise).

-

Anything to be aware of with the car rental companies there?

Yes, plenty. Read the reviews that are scattered around about various car rentals and also the tips skinholt gives. Rule of thumb, bring your camera to the pick-up site and use it generously to label EVERY little thing you can possibly find, inside and outside.

-

Would i be ok with the large name brand of car rental companies?

- Any will do, service and quality differs. In any case you probably end up renting some kind of a car. Many large international brands operate in Iceland, Avis, Hertz (the bad one apparantly), Budget, Dollar Thrifty, Europcar and more. Many local rental agencies are also operating. A total of 160 registered rental car agencies operate with a licence (and some dozens not licenced without permits).

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
282 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a Car

Should you get insurance even if your credit card has coverage? I've always heard to waive the CDW, and I always have, because our card has good coverage.

We're leaving in three days, so I'm nervous. We could still add the CDW if needed but it adds $600 USD to the cost (which is a lot for us).

We definitely got gravel protection.

Thoughts?

P.S. In all of the many Iceland car reviews I've read, Hertz Keflavik gets the worst reviews from the most people, I think. We went with a local company, CarRentalSS Iceland, and are hoping for the best since I'd read some very good reviews about it and only one small, slightly negative one.

Edited: 10 July 2014, 01:55
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a Car

I think the guy from Iceland will have the best advice for you. We did buy some of the insurance but it only totaled about $180 additional...basically it just lowered our responsibility. Windshield damage is probably the most common. Even on the Ring Road there is still many gravel sections...lots of repair work.

Boston...
Level Contributor
228 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a Car

The insurance provided by your credit card is likely more comprehensive than that which is offered by the rental companies. Also, take pictures of all sides of the car when you pick it up, and again when you drop it off. I usually try to get one of the pictures with an employee in the picture.

7. Re: Renting a Car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 00:17