We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to get phone sim (pre-pay preferably), data service?

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
120 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Where to get phone sim (pre-pay preferably), data service?

What cell service company would be best to get a phone sim card for a pre-paid account (not there very long)? Where are they located in Reykjavik?

thanks

Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
8,482 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to get phone sim (pre-pay preferably), data service?

Siminn - Vodafone - Nova - Tal

All have similar range. Each of them also offer a coverage map on their websites. 3G is widespread, 4G is more in urban areas in and around Reykjavik and in the north.

Vodafone is based at: Skútuvogur 2 104 Reykjavík Call 599 9000 for the service center

Siminn is based at: Ármúli 26 104 Reykjavík, call 800 7000 for the service desk (toll free number)

Nova is based at: Lágmúli 9 104 Reykjavik, call 519 1919 for the service desk

Tal is based at: Grímsbær 108 Reykjavík, call 1817 for the service desk

Top three companies have outlets in Kringlan and Smáralind malls as well.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
117 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to get phone sim (pre-pay preferably), data service?

I got this from a post that was on this forum last week:

http://www.siminn.is/english/

If you go to the right of the page and click on "outlets" there is a list of places to get the SIM card.

I have a stupid question about this though. I want to get a SIM card in Iceland from Siminn for my unlocked Samsung Galaxy 4 mainly for the data. Does this mean I will have an Iceland phone number and people from home will not be able to call or text me on my USA phone number? If so is there any way for me to keep my USA phone number and just buy data from Siminn?

Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
8,482 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to get phone sim (pre-pay preferably), data service?

A phone number is connected to SIM cards, not phones, so the answer would be "yes, you're getting an icelandic phone number with an icelandic SIM-card". I've never seen any phone operator give people the oppertunity of keeping a foreign phone number with a domestic SIM-card. Might be just a technological revolution away though, because it sounds like a good idea.

An automatic call transfer can be obtained through any decent mobile phone operator. Placing the digits: +354-xxx-xxxx (x=phone number) into your call divert options gives you the same effect but there is a hectic disadvantage. The extra cost (internaional call cost minus domestic call cost) goes onto your phone bill.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to get phone sim (pre-pay preferably), data service?

You'll need to pay for roaming with your US SIM if you want to receive calls abroad. Watch out for extreme data costs.

Will be cheaper just to tell people your Icelandic phone number...

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
176 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to get phone sim (pre-pay preferably), data service?

I bought my SIMMinn card from Icelandair's Saga Shop (Cell Phone Starter Pack), and they brought it to us during our flight (must be pre-ordered online). The only catch was that we needed a nano-sim for my iPhone 5, and we got a regular sim so we had to go and get it cut down once we were on Reykjavik. The kit included a $20 card and that was enough for me on the trip (almost no voice and conservative data use).

6. Re: Where to get phone sim (pre-pay preferably), data service?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 05:16