We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

noise in downtown area

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
45 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
noise in downtown area

Hi Trip Advisor,

My husband and I will be visiting Reykjavik in September and after reading the reviews and threads on these forums, I'm a little concerned about noise and the ability to sleep with the noise at night. We will be there from Tuesday night to Friday noon, and I'm wondering if the nightlife in bars and clubs will keep us up if we stayed in downtown. Do people usually party from Tuesday through Thursday? We're both light sleepers but are okay sleep through regular city traffic noise. If you think the nightlife noise is going to be an issue, could you please recommend some areas that are more on the quiet side but are not far from grocery stores, restaurants, cafes, etc.? Thank you!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
3,112 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: noise in downtown area

We are staying at Room with a View right now...our window faces a side street just off the main drag. We heard noise from the bar across the side street until midnight last (this) night. At around midnight it ended. Asking yesterday elsewhere we were told that Mon-Thr the bars quiet down at midnight but weekends can go to 05:30. We brought our own quality earplugs as we are travellers seeing Iceland (applies anywhere) so must be up early and well rested on the days we are travelling. We knew about the noise when booking this hotel and location so the onus is on to make it work. Do your homework and choose what works best for you - but don't complain about noise given the pre-warnings. Do invest in some good quality COMFORTABLE earplugs. We use ones our large research University sells in its bookstores to its students and they work great (and are cheap).

12. Re: noise in downtown area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2015, 05:16