We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Lights 2014 Activity

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
121 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Northern Lights 2014 Activity

Icelanders!

How have the solar flares been this year? More active? Normal? Less active? I know Nasa said 2013 was the year of high flares and it didn't really happen. Has that rolled into 2014? Attempting to go to Iceland in December (end of December), not going for the lights, but would LOVE to see them. Should I get my hopes up??

Best Seller
Golden Circle Classic Day Trip from...
1,895 reviews
from US$68.40*
Best Seller
Blue Lagoon Spa Admission and...
1,167 reviews
from US$126.80*
Best Seller
Golden Circle Day Trip from Reykjavik...
68 reviews
from US$276.00*
Best Seller
Northern Lights Night Tour from...
840 reviews
from US$49.70*
Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,209 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern Lights 2014 Activity

What are you ? Some kind of a troll ?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern Lights 2014 Activity

I don't think it's a troll, but the ? key might be stuck...

From anectdotal reports, January made up for the lull in what was expected to be an active late 2013. I've read a couple of scientific articles on it, so that's my only knowledge. This solar cycle has been extremely odd, comparing against many decades of recorded history.

As far as real world viewing, well, you just have to get out there and see if they appear... follow the clear weather and hope for higher than 3 on the activity scale.

http://en.vedur.is/weather/forecasts/aurora

www.swpc.noaa.gov/ovation/North_New.html

www.aurora-service.eu/aurora-forecast

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern Lights 2014 Activity

"... solar activity is expected to peak in 2013, but the two years following solar maximum often produce the strongest auroras. That means that there should be several possibilities to experience auroras at lower latitudes in the next three years.

When planning your expedition, avoid city lights and the full Moon and find a dark place with a clear view of the northern horizon. Check predictions for solar activity before you go. Several satellites observe the Sun 24 hours a day, and by monitoring the Sun and measuring the speed of solar wind particles just outside the magnetosphere, scientists can predict the strength and location of aurora up to a couple of days in advance." Sky & Telescope, Feb 2013, 7 page feature on Northern Lights.

4. Re: Northern Lights 2014 Activity

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2015, 06:16