We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Cars and Ferries

Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Cars and Ferries

I am trying to rent a rental car for a ring road trip in September read that some rental car agencies have terms prohibiting ferrying of the vehicle or charging an extra fee. I was wondering, do the ferry companies even check? Also has anyone had to pay and extra fee to ferry their car? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
8,713 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Cars and Ferries

Do you have any links from the rental companies where this gesture is explianed ?

Never heard that a ferry can't accept rental cars, except Norröna ferry to the Faroe Islands and the European mainland does not accept rental cars, as their auto insurance, I believe, is restricted to Iceland only. Going to the Westman Islands counts in law as travelling within the official road system. Same applies to the Baldur ferry between Stykkishólmur and Brjánslækur.

Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Cars and Ferries

It was on the rental car side. apparently some companies don't allow you to ferry the car. I found this in the terms and conditions of a car on the economycarrental site. I ended up renting a car that did not have that condition anyway and that allows domestic ferrying.

Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
8,713 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Cars and Ferries

Can't find it anywhere :-/

Cant even find an icelandic company named Economy car rental :(

The terms I find indicate that domestic ferrying is usually ok and paid for by the user (not included).

Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Cars and Ferries

Sorry, it was economycarrentals.com. after I did a search for cars in Iceland, it was in the terms and conditions of the Toyota Yaris.

Thank you so much for trying to help.

Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
8,713 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Cars and Ferries

I already checked the economycarrental.com site and found a complete different term on their "general section" (bottom of the page). Tried it again with the yaris booking and found it. Weird though. The rental car agencies don't put that into their own terms on their own websites. The only limitation I know of is the continent ferry (Norröna).

6. Re: Rental Cars and Ferries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2015, 05:15