We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girl traveling alone

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Girl traveling alone

Hey there! I am wondering how ok would be to go to Iceland in September (7 to 11) alone?

and then which would be the best zone to be in: Reykjavik downtown, loft or city center? An in case someone is alone to and wanna do some tours we might meet :)

thanks!

Gardabaer, Iceland
Level Contributor
8,464 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Girl traveling alone

A woman on her own = just fine. Shouldn't have any problems.

downtown, loft and city center... Are you referring to Hostels ?

Reykjavík Downtown Hostel and Reykjavík Loft Hostel are both smack, right in the middle of the city center. Reykjavík City Hostel is a bit away from the center, it's in Laugardalur, about 20-25 minute walk from the others and easily accessible with the bus system (except on sundays when NO bus runs at all before noon), there is more emphasis for campers and such. You also might want to look into KEX hostel or Hostel village. Not as far from the city center as Reykjavík City Hostel is and also not in the main party hub, so you might actually sleep without hearing the noise....

Enjoy.

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Girl traveling alone

From what I saw while there, it's one of the few countries where if I (a girl) were alone and hitchhiking, I would be alright.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
121 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Girl traveling alone

Reykjavik is very safe. I traveled there on my own 2 yrs ago, and I. Going back there in a month. I prefer staying at city apartments instead of hostels so I always book with Airbnb. Try staying in city center directly south of the hilligrimskaja church (not sure if I spelled it correctly) so u are close to everything.

2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Girl traveling alone

hey,

I am traveling alone as well but during the week of Sept 14- 23

2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Girl traveling alone

hey,

I am traveling alone as well but during the week of Sept 14- 23

Jersey
Level Contributor
49 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Girl traveling alone

I am a girl traveling to Iceland alone, but will be October 1 - 6.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
555 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Girl traveling alone

You will have absolutely no problems travelling alone - Iceland is a safe country and women do this all the time. I have done it 7 times myself and never had any problems - in fact I prefer it. I always find that you see much more wildlife when hiking on your own, which is definitely a bonus.

As for hostels, I can recommend either Downtown or Hostel Village.

Edited: 22 August 2014, 06:50
Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
30 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Girl traveling alone

we just spent 12 days driving the entire country and it was VERY SAFE. I agree with MarianaSSantos, that it is one of the safest places for a single woman to travel. You will still need to use your common sense and being aware of your surroundings throughout the country.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
121 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Girl traveling alone

Stay in the city center just for practical reasons so u don't have to commute too much and save time. Reykjavik us walking city, very compact and safe day and night. Enjoy your stay!

Amsterdam, The...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Girl traveling alone

Hi, I am traveling alone too, but i am not a girl, but woman :-)

I think many people are traveling alone, think it is ok in Iceland.

If you want to, you can meet other people to do some traveling or trips together.

Monday i'm going from Amsterdam to Reykjavik. I will stay 10 day's. First in a hostel in the Laugavegur street. I am also walking the Laugavegur trail. ( if the Bardarbunga is not erupting, and the trail is closed... cross my vingers) Still going 4 day's alone on the trail, but i will look for company to walk with, cause this is safer.

Wish you a great holiday and also the other travelers! :-)