We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Lights

Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
614 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Northern Lights

Has anyone actually seen the Northern Lights on an arranged tour? We went on one last Friday and, as we left Reykjavik, the guide indicated that we were unlikely to see them because of a full moon - so why did they take our money (around £28 x approx. 130 people) for a drive in the wilderness. The coach driver then got lost, driving a full-sized standard coach onto a building site with unfinished roads on the edge of town. When he eventually caught up with the lead bus, younger (and better-off?) passengers amused themselves taking photos of each other in the dark. This must surely be the most expensive cup of hot choc and doughnut anywhere in the world!

1. Re: Northern Lights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2006, 00:43
blackburn
Level Contributor
28 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern Lights

Hi - me and my boyfriend just came back from iceland & paid £40 each to drive into the wilderness and saw nothing - we did not even get a drink and a snack!!!! The night after we saw the lights from our hotel window!! Near enough in the centre of the city - so all that about not being able to see them in the city lights is rubbish - to all travelling to Iceland DO NOT GO ON ANY NORTHERN LIGHTS TOURS! Take it from me

L x

East Coast, USA
Level Contributor
746 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern Lights

I don't think all Northern Lights tours are a waste. But to be truthful (and okay this is cheating a bit), I would probably just follow a tour bus for free for that tour. We paid to do 6 full tours in Iceland but if we get back there for the Northern Lights, that's probably what we'll do.

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
600 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Northern Lights

I actually went on a Northern Lights tour 3 years ago and it was amazing! I was there in mid- November and saw the lights twice. I saw them on the way back (very briefly) from the Blue Lagoon (the driver stopped for us to get out and look) and then on an organized trip the next nite. It was unreal!

We saw lights on our that were similar to this picture/drawing, without the man, ;)

http://www.iww.is/art/shs/pages/page12.html

also saw lights similar to these, too

http://www.iww.is/art/shs/pages/page17.html

I did not take any pictures b/c I did not have a good enough camera to take some photos.

I went back the following year in Feb and did not see a single thing!

I want to go back and see them again one day! It was amazing!

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
121 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Northern Lights

you cant go when the moon is full, you're more likely to see it when its a new moon, id make sure to schedule my trip accoring to when the moon is gonna be at the right stage

Jersey
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Northern Lights

A good link to check regarding moon phases:

www.tutiempo.net/en/moon/phases_11_2007.htm

7. Re: Northern Lights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 05:25