We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What time of day will the tide be out at Reynisfjara beach?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
What time of day will the tide be out at Reynisfjara beach?

We're visiting Iceland in late April and would love to see the beach / basalt columns in the side of the mountain (at Reynisfjara near Vik), but I keep coming across warnings - the ocean waves can be deadly, and it looks like it's inaccessible there when the tide is high - around what time of day will the tide be out, so we can walk along the beach? Thank you!

Western Mass
Level Contributor
22 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What time of day will the tide be out at Reynisfjara beach?

I would like to know this, too, except we will be there in the beginning og August. I have googled this a lot be can not seem to find the info.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,998 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What time of day will the tide be out at Reynisfjara beach?

Tides vary from day to day and don't happen at the same time each day. There is no answer to your query. You will need to access a tide timetable for Vik and understand it.

However if there is a warning about 'ocean waves being deadly' proceed with caution. You will need to know what you are doing as you don't want to get cut off. Living near the coast there are often reports about tourists getting cut off and having to be rescued.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
333 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What time of day will the tide be out at Reynisfjara beach?

Yes, be careful. We were there a couple of weeks ago, this part of the island gets hit directly by the Atlantic (and there is no land from there straight down all the way to the South Pole), the waves are treacherous . While walking along the edge of the beach , we noticed that the slope towards the water was very steep. So, if you slip and get hit by a wave, the undercurrents can easily drag you in deep waters within a couple of seconds. Reminded me of the North Shore of Kauai, same steep angle and lot of surf.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,208 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What time of day will the tide be out at Reynisfjara beach?

Tid prediction for Vík: …ukho.gov.uk/easytide/…

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What time of day will the tide be out at Reynisfjara beach?

Thank-you, I was also interested in this post.

Delft, The...
Level Contributor
647 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What time of day will the tide be out at Reynisfjara beach?

At the bottom of the article below is a video that shows the dangerous waves (and beauty) of Reynisfjara beach :

mbl.is/frettir/…

Edited: 08 June 2013, 22:51
Ohio
Level Contributor
446 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What time of day will the tide be out at Reynisfjara beach?

We got caught by a huge wave there as we were looking at the basalt rock. The waves were rough that day, but at least 20 ft away from us. I turned my back to the waves to call my husband over to see an interesting part of the basalt rock when suddenly without any warning I was engulfed in the wave up to my thighs. I was thoroughly soaked. It took days to dry my shoes which subsequently were lost/ left inadvertantly at a guesthouse. We felt lucky that being soaked and loosing the shoes was the only thing that happened that day.

Western Mass
Level Contributor
22 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What time of day will the tide be out at Reynisfjara beach?

Thank you so much. I'll look at the tide times closer to our arrival date. Is it pretty safe to walk down on the beach if it's low tide? We would not go near the water, especailly after reading/seeing this! Also, where would we find warnings of dangerous waves - are they posted?

We are doing a 1-night stopover (staying in Keflavik) and plan to drive to Vik and back.

Ohio
Level Contributor
446 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What time of day will the tide be out at Reynisfjara beach?

CardamomMoon....we thought that it was safe when we started our walk and it was low tide. There were no signs posted of dangerous waves and the waves were a distance from us...so we were not expecting the wave to come so far a shore. Interestingly, after this happened, a few others who saw the incident walked over to us and joked a little about it to us...they then walked over to the basalt...but, much farther away from the ocean then even we had been, but they too were hit by another wave that had come inland even further. So, be careful and watch the ocean waves.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,208 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What time of day will the tide be out at Reynisfjara beach?

,,There were no signs posted of dangerous waves" Sure there is a sign there ! Unless of course you walked somewhere else but on the path.