We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Reykjavík to Stykkisholmur

Wurzburg, Germany
Level Contributor
53 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Reykjavík to Stykkisholmur

I would like to drive from Reykjavík to Stykkisholmur and two days later from Stykkisholmur to Akureyri at the end of April this year.

After reading in some books I am not sure if this is a good idea and therefore I think about skipping Stykkisholmur. I'm concerned about the bad conditions of the roads in that region. Would I need a 4x4 or is a small rental car good enough? How safe are the roads to Stykkisholmur? Are there flooded areas on the way or small rivers that have to be crossed?

Best regards

Andrew

15 replies to this topic
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
9,126 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Reykjavík to Stykkisholmur

Not one river to cross, road in good conditions, no need of a 4x4.

Do NOT miss Snæfellsnes and Stykkishólmur - awesome spots of Iceland :)))

Norway
Level Contributor
2,076 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Reykjavík to Stykkisholmur

I wonder what books you have been reading that could have given such a misleading impression of the roads. This is all driving on the normal road system, and there are no difficult roads. In fact most of it is paved, except for a section of gravel east of Stykkisholmur.

Reykjavik to Stykkisholmur is all paved good roads. When you leave Stykkisholmur and go east on the 54 there will be gravel almost until you reach road 60. The the rest of the way to Akureyri is paved. The gravel section as I remember it is not really a problem. It can be a bit bumpy here and there, but nothing special. You will be fine in any car. If you really want to avoid the gravel part you can always backtrack to Borgarnes and continue to Akureyri from there. It is a little longer drive, but of course better roads. No reason to skip Snæfellsnes, it is a great area.

Wurzburg, Germany
Level Contributor
53 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Reykjavík to Stykkisholmur

Great :)

Thanks for the advice.

BTW: How much time would I need to see Snæfellsnes when staying in Stykkisholmur?

I didn't plan going there so far, but as you mention it I wonder if it still fits into the timetable.

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Reykjavík to Stykkisholmur

Tell me, Diane-Rvk, what makes Snæfellsnes and Stykkishólmur so special? Should I plan on spending a night at both?

thanks

Boston...
Level Contributor
15,551 posts
456 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Reykjavík to Stykkisholmur

doctor bob: Stykkisholmur is a town on the Snaefellsnes Peninsula, so staying there satisfies both!

Stykkisholmur is a very pretty town, you might recognize it from the Walter Mitty film last year (they said it was Greenland in the movie, but it wasn't!), and the whole peninsula is full of spectacular scenery.

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Reykjavík to Stykkisholmur

Thank you, Diane-rvk.

How many days/nights would you recommend in traveling from Akureyri back to Reykjavik?

Boston...
Level Contributor
15,551 posts
456 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Reykjavík to Stykkisholmur

I'm not Diane (she's prettier than me), but I'd spend as much time as possible in Iceland if I were you! We've been there 3 times and are going again next summer.

When are you going there, bob, and how long are you planning to stay overall?

4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Reykjavík to Stykkisholmur

Hello,

I will be traveling to reykjavik in mid-january and want to drive north and see snaefellsnes peninsula and stay in Stykkisholmur. I am fine taking 2 days to do it but are the roads dangerous to drive on in a 4x4 vehicle? I haven't driven in snow before but really want to experience this part of iceland on my own without a tour. Is it a safe idea?

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Reykjavík to Stykkisholmur

We are currently doing the same, but in the opposite direction as part of an 11-day ring road trip. We were in the Hotel Egilsen in Stykkisholmur two nights ago, Langaholt last night and will be in Reykjavik later today. I think I am driving a 4WD 5-speed manual Opel Mokka.

In brief: safe idea if you take your time, respect road conditions and check each day on the road.is web site to check on travel conditions. road.is will indicate which roads are impassable, snowy, icy, etc. Driving with some daylight is far more comfortable than driving in the dark with headlights. Take care not to drive off of the road while, say, doing a reverse k-turn...that could leave you in a difficult situation.

Let me know if you have additional questions.

Boston...
Level Contributor
15,551 posts
456 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Reykjavík to Stykkisholmur

Tyler:

Iceland is not the place to learn how to drive in winter. If the roads and forecasts are clear, maybe rent a car at the last minute (4x4 isn't going to be any easier for you if the roads are clear or covered) and do that trip, but if there is snow or ice on the roads or in the forecast do your loved ones a favor and don't try this yourself.

Reply to: Driving from Reykjavík to Stykkisholmur
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted