We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

malta with a toddler (honest opinions)

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
malta with a toddler (honest opinions)

hello everyone.. we visit malta quite often and really love the people and the island, but the next time we are sort of planning to visit in oct 08 we will have a 6 month old baby with us. has anyone got honest opinions about how they found it in malta with such a young child....we cant face not going for a few years you see.. would people suggest renting a villa or townhouse or a decent hotel? all info will be greatly received..

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: malta with a toddler (honest opinions)

Don't see that you should have a problem. You will find everything you need there and I'm sure you can take lots of things of your own from here in the UK. Maltese are very child friendly and at 6 months baby will be in a buggy all of the time so you are not having to chase around after a little toddler. Go ahead and enjoy it. You might find renting a villa or townhouse better as you have more freedom.

Staffs, England.
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: malta with a toddler (honest opinions)

Hi - you have asked for 'honest' so i will be, Malta is exceptionally 'child' friendly without doubt, personally when we travelled with our just 1 year old in October 05, i did not find it 'baby' friendly....i have no doubt that there will be lots of people that will disagree but i found it quite a hard holiday if that makes sense. Many people made a real fuss of my little girl and commented on her very blonde hair etc and the staff in our hotel (Ramla Bay) were fantastic with her . But the things i struggled with (which with hindsight seem quite trivial now) were :- we went to Valetta one day and must have asked at over a dozen restaurants if they had high chairs, none did, my daughter was so hungry in the end we went to McDonalds...were they did have high chairs:-)

With the exception of our hotel and one in Sliema i think it was where i begged them to let me use their toilets we didnt find a single baby change table or baby change room anywhere, maybe i was looking in the wrong places but on numerous occasions my daughter either had to be changed lying down in her buggy or on a towel on the floor. I also found it a struggle generally with the pushchair there were alot of places that couldnt be accessed without carrying the puschair upstairs etc. This is obviously just the character of the island but it didnt make it easy.... Given the choice of renting or hotel, i'm not sure as we have only ever stayed in one hotel in malta, however be aware that alot of hotels (unless s/c) may not offer the option of fridges in rooms or facilities to warm milk at 5am if needed.

Please dont get me wrong Malta is a fabulous place so much so we are going back in November 08 (daughter will be 4 then) and you may find that a 6 month old will tire more easily and be much more 'portable' , but these were my experiences and you did ask for honest!!!!! I hope i havent put you off...

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: malta with a toddler (honest opinions)

Hi,

Just wanted to reassure you following the previous post. Travelling with a baby can be difficult, especially if it is your first holiday with pushchair, however, if you are a little flexible it should be very pleasant, i.e:

If your chosen restaurant doesn't have an highchair then feed the baby in the pushchair, or better still, eat when the baby is alseep. My personal experience was that waiters and other guests were more than happy to entertain "baby" whilst we ate.

Baby buggy's are quite difficult in some places. We always opted for the lightweight travel buggy's and tended to carry our child when we wanted to get to hard to access places, husband carried child and I either carried buggy, or asked the store owner to watch it for me. Baby slings are also ideal.

As a frequent Malta visitor you are aware of the pleasent promenades etc which are very good for walking with a puschair.

Baby's don't require a five star service and are perfectly happy to be changed, fed etc in the strangest of places. Although I would only recommend bottle feeding in public places.

My recommendation would be to stay in a nice hotel who will probably offer a baby listening or childminding service in the evening, which will give you time together and a chance to unwind.

My only warning is to make sure you book baby a seat on the flight since it is difficult to fly with an infant on your knee for the whole flight, and will be stressfull for all 3 of you (and the people seated around you). We made the mistake of doing this on our first ever flight with a baby. Never again :)

Have a great holiday !!

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: malta with a toddler (honest opinions)

many thanks for taking the time to reply both of you.. this is what i wanted really, just good honest opinions and first hand experiences.. it is things like buggy issues and getting around and trying to do things during the day and night.. we think we are going to book a traditional maltese townhouse because of the freedom and facilities. we have spotted a nice looking one in the balluta bay area just behind the promenade area on one of the back streets. it seems to fit our reqs as we will be going with extended family (plenty of babysitters lol) if anyone is interested as well its called cas gwent house and you can check it out at www.vacationmalta.co.uk... many thanks once again

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: malta with a toddler (honest opinions)

sorry..... many thanks to the 3 of you for replying

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: malta with a toddler (honest opinions)

Well the area you have picked is ideal as you are very near everything. You are on a bus route so you could even get about that way. I would suggest an easyfold lightweight buggy so that you can get on and off buses easily and in and out of tighter spots - oh or one of those baby carry things with baby sitting on your chest or back. Enjoy

Staffs, England.
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: malta with a toddler (honest opinions)

hi triplalot - thank you so much for balancing out my view. i have no doubt that holidaying with a six month old and extended family will be much easier for bobthestag than 2 novices like us with a 1 year old who really didnt want to be in her pushchair!!!

bobthestag - hope you have a fabulous time... save some sunshine for us in November 08:-)

8. Re: malta with a toddler (honest opinions)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 16:19