We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bird Shooters

England
2 posts
Save Topic
Bird Shooters

Travellers to Malta should be aware that there is a hardcore of dangerous, violent men who shoot any bird that moves and intimidate anyone that tries to stop them. Tourists have had their cars wrecked and even been shot at when they complained about the slaughter, which is completely illegal. Many holidays have been ruined in this way. The Maltese authorities are too scared of the hunters to do anything. It is estimated that the hunters kill over 500,000 protected birds a year, purely for their own sadistic pleasure.

England
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bird Shooters

I should also add that the vast majority of decent Maltese people dislike the hunters and the shame they have brought to Malta in the international community ( The EU is currently taking Malta to court for not doing enough to stop the illegal hunting).

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bird Shooters

Judging by your ID and what you have posted I can't help thinking this a scaremongering thread.

I know that there are many "hunters" in Malta and quite a few that do it illegally however in 34 years of visiting I have never heard of any tourist being attacked, vehicles damaged or even threatened though I would suspect that this would be the furthest it would ever go if a tourist were to put themselves in their way.

I disagree totally with the so called “hunters” view that they can blast anything out of the sky. We once watched 7 flamingos fly to Salina Bay and thence began a sweepstake among both locals and long-term tourists in a couple of bars as to how long they would last.... It turned out about 45 minutes! But the Directive is not even about flamingos. The directive is only about spring hunting of Turtle Doves & Common Quail and does not even cover the rest of the year.

With so many pro shooting lobbyists in Malta it's hardly surprising they are dragging their heels.

It is true that the EU has sent a "final warning letter" to the Maltese government but unfortunately with the speed that both EU and national parliaments work there is little point holding your breath. What the EU gave Malta was a directive not law (79/409/EEC). Directives give leeway of time to implement and are inferred to statute in the time the government deems.

What doesn't help those non-hunting citizens (which is the majority) that rely on the main industry ... TOURISM... is scaremongering that tourists are in danger from these hunters. They are not. The only time they could put themselves in danger is by wandering around the hunting areas that I've always found to be quite obvious.

Blackpool
Level Contributor
38 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bird Shooters

We are going to Malta in January but had we known about this we would have gone somewhere else, we are not scared of the hunters but would have spent our money in a more civilized country had we known. This will be our first and last visit. Pity its too late for us to change.

Sliema, Malta
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bird Shooters

I am maltese. It is true that there are bird watchers , however, these are usually out in the early hours of the morning. Moreover, we have civilised population , we are also very warm and friendly.

Of course , in every country there are the pros and cons...

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bird Shooters

I don't get the over-reaction melblackpool.Malta or it's people are not uncivilised.

People at home shoot allsorts too. Birds, rabbits,hares, foxes etc. Does that make the UK uncivilised?

Let's get this into some kind of context. There are a group of "hunters" in Malta that for times gone by up to 2004 when they acceeded to the EU that have always hunted all year round. The EU under the 1979 directive decided to protect Turtle Doves and Quail for the spring migration period. Up to now ... as it is still only a directive and still not quite statute it has not been implemented.

I am not a hunter or even pro-hunting but I am very protective of the majority of Maltese citizens that rely on tourism by, if necessary, repudiating the misconceptions created by the initial scaremonger posting.

Malta is not uncivilised as you will find when you get there. You are only likely to come across hunters if you go looking for them.

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bird Shooters

i think mel shot from the hip there a little bit.. all countrys in the world have different cultures, sports and pastimes, whatever they maybe.. these hunters will in no way affect your visit to malta.. i have found the people the most friendly nation i have ever visited. if you thought about it too much about what a minority few get up to you would never travel anywhere, let alone england...

London, United...
Level Contributor
941 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Bird Shooters

there is nothing to worry about. Malta is not that dangerous. I have been visiting Malta for the last 20 years, but never was "attacked" or had my car hijacked! Even though i go for countryside walks. Have many friends who are hunters and its not the first time that i have stopped to talk to civilised hunters and trappers during my countryside walks. Its true that there are illegal hunters as well, but illegalities exist everywhere in the world. Don't we have illegalities at home? Maybe businessmen and tourists wont come any more to the UK because of the rising violence in London??! Maybe Naturecop is living in another reality!

lancs u.k
Level Contributor
142 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bird Shooters

What about BULLFIGHTING in Spain? I absoloutly detest this tourist "attraction" when i visit Spanish countries (they even show these events on television,in bars and cafes).Why single out Malta for bad treatment to animals?

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,112 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bird Shooters

errm... are we excusing the killing of songbirds for the sake of killing with the abhorrent fact that bullfighting , running of the bulls and other cruelty exists as well? somehow that makes it all better?

seems to me that cruelty to animals is uncivilized, no matter if it also happens elsewhere . i am not afraid for my safety one bit , but i would have been heartbroken over the flamingos that Scuba mentioned or every single bird or creature that gets killed for "pleasure".. knowing that the locals wagered on these death does indeed put them in a different light for me now .. "a sweepstake of death" .. how incredibly sad.

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bird Shooters

"Hunting" in Malta as in every other "civilised country" has always taken place.

It's ethos is changing but it won't happen overnight.

Duck shoots in the US, pheasant shoots in England, Grouse shoots in Scotland, Whalehunting by Japan etc etc have all got their followers and their own rationale for doing so but the civility of the rest of the population are not judged by the actions of the hunters.

Why should Malta be any different?

My defence is not that of the hunter but the rectification of the initial post that suggested that they are violent, dangerous & intimidatory to tourists which they are clearly not.