We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

currency

sheenshe
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
currency

Can you tell me if malta currency is the euro or do they accept english pounds. Also what is the weather like at the moment?.

poppy

Wash DC
Level Contributor
74 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: currency

Malta has their own monetary system called the Lira or Maltese Lira. Right now the exchange rate is 1 pound = .54 maltese lira.

swieqi
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: currency

Malta Just changes in January to euro . Sterling pound is exepted in some places and you find shops which give you a better rate than banks .But EURO us the official currency.

Weather is great warm 20 degress during day time fresh you need a jacket at night time.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
13,918 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: currency

um.. its the euro . the lira is done and gone

Wash DC
Level Contributor
74 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: currency

ah my apologies, havent been there in awhile.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
155 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: currency

Read somewhere on here that its better to buy US dollars with stirling, then buy euros, do they mean bring dollar bills to Malta then exchange them, I know the £ is low against the Euro, but surley this wouldn't benefit anyone unless it was on a grand scale!! This no commission charge in places in the UK is not free a tall, they ajust the rate, when you try to sell them back you are ripped off

J

Malta
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: currency

What's whit this stupid advice?

Malta adopted the euro this year. This is not Tunisia. We won't jump up and down in joy at the sight of a foreign currency. And no, don't expect a better deal just because you pay in pounds sterling or american dollars.

Instead, get euro with you, or exchange your pounds sterling in Malta to euro. Charges are reasonable here. Don't exchange in hotels, you might be given an unfavourable exchange rate (but not totally ripped off).

Alternatively, enter the new millennium and get a credit card with you. Unless you plan to buy a ton of diamond jewellery and property, you needn't worry too much about the exchange rate between the euro and the UK - there's no real difference.

Wash DC
Level Contributor
74 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: currency

I apologize as this is a little off topic but, in reference to the Euro being the currency in Malta, does that mean that the ~400 lira I have in a shoe box from the last time I was there in 2002 is worthless?

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: currency

No, take it all with you and change it at the Central Bank. It has to be that bank though as I believe other banks only took liri till April

Wash DC
Level Contributor
74 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: currency

Thanks for the heads up :)

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: currency

Once again I'm afraid the point was missed here.

There are some advantages to exchanging sterling to dollars then dollars to Euros providing you are taking enough to make it worth while simply because the £ is holding better against the $ and the $ is holding better than the €. Small holiday transactions are not worth doing.

As for Malta not falling over themselves for foreign currency ... They have for the last 35 years I've been going there! With shops and outlets offering much better rates than the banks and with no commission someone is enjoying having the foreign currencies. My apartment this year paid for in USD CASH