We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

swimming with dolphins

Calgary
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Topic
swimming with dolphins

Hi, My family is going to Malta in June. I have promised the kids a few things just for them when we go. I have looked on line and saw that children over 8 can swim with dolphins at a park. How is it there? Is it worth the money I seem to remember it being about 125 euros? And do children need car seats to travel around, are they available?

thanks k

Calgary
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: swimming with dolphins

And is the park respectful to the dolphins or will we spend the whole time thinking about how they are treated. I don't want to expose the kids to any harmful treatment of animals!

thanks k

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: swimming with dolphins

We have several other threads about this topic and my own views are well documented.

see

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g230152-i1509-k191…

And make your own mind up.

Bugibba, Malta
Destination Expert
for Bugibba
Level Contributor
743 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: swimming with dolphins

I'd like to think the animals are well treated.

There are 3 sea-lions but only 2 do the show each time so they are not over-worked.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,312 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: swimming with dolphins

If you google `splash n fun park malta` you`ll get all the info you need. It`s a fun day out even if you don`t swim with the dolphins.

You do need car seats, if you hire a car they`ll provide them.

What my son enjoyed when he was a kid were the catacombs in Rabat, and Ghar Dalam in Birzebbugia. Plus they`ll be cool in June.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,734 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: swimming with dolphins

captive dolphins are a sad , sad thing .. it's not like a ponyride ...

personally , i would not teach my children that this is a concept to take advantage of . my son was just about 8 the first time he saw some wild dolphins while snorkeling - that was an experience he never forgot .. and he took up diving afterwards and has since 'met' many more dolphins , shark, pilotwhales , manta , whaleshark and many more - all in the wild .this way , he grew up with respect and love for the animals and their natural habitat , rather than regarding them as possessions in some pathetic bussiness spectacle, there to be used and exploited .

i am certain that my views appear extreme to some .. best keep your own council about what to teach your kids . either way .. enjoy your vecation !

Bridlington, United...
Level Contributor
530 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: swimming with dolphins

Me, my 8 year old daughter, my mum and dad swam with the dolphins last year in Malta, it was the best experience ever my mum and daughter were rather apprehensive about it but soon started to enjoy themselves, after the talk you get from the trainers, you have to wear life jackets and shower before you get in the pool then stand in disinfectant to clean your feet so you do not inadvertently hurt the dolphins. There are only 2 dolphins in the pool and only 6 people per dolphin. (recommend booking, it is a very popular activity!) The dolphins are very very well looked after and the trainers know all about each dolphin's personalities, and are very informative. My daughter still talks about the day and proudly shows the pics to everyone that comes around our house. I would say if your kids are wanting to do this let them they will absolutly love it.

Jo

7. Re: swimming with dolphins

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 04:20