We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portable air-conditioners

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Portable air-conditioners

Hi

Does anyone know if portable air-conditioners are any good or if you can buy fans that blow out cold air as opposed to just whirling hot air around. We arrive in July and our accomodation hasn't got air-conditioning. We might be ok as it is early July but just in case.

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portable air-conditioners

hi twirl

my brother had a few of these about 10 years ago in majorca at his house and i remember them being suprisingly good.

i might be totally wrong here but i vaguely remember filling them with water in a compartment on the back.

i would imagine any device would be better than a fan but having said that, a fan is better than nothing lol.

supprised you have gone for somewhere without air con twirl being a malta veteran.

mind you, i think sometimes it is better to persevere with the heat for half hour or so in your room and you become accustomed to it a bit without you being that aware of it.

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portable air-conditioners

hey twirl

forgot to say that when we were in malta last june the temps were pushing 40 deg.

absolutely gorgeous. so you know you have to sort the air con situation out.

good luck

where are you staying this time?

Newcastle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portable air-conditioners

Hi Bob

Only reason why we are staying somewhere without air-con is coz it is with family. I'm seriously thinking of broaching the subject this time - either get air-con put in or we stay somewhere else. (I'm sounding really mean here but it gets too hot to sleep sometimes) I've even offered to pay for it, so that's not the issue here. If it does get too hot, might up sticks and move to a hotel.

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portable air-conditioners

twirl, do you ever hire a car whilst you are in malta?

thinking about doing so this year as we have a young one with us this time and dont fancy lugging her around on the busses.

if you do hire a car, do you find it easy to get around? i have driven in spain before and found that ok but never in malta so i am 50/50 wether to hire a car or just get taxis to the sights.

looked at a website and can get a kia something or other for less than 200 pounds for a fortnight which sounds good to me.

i might pluck up courage and hire one even if we dont use it that much.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portable air-conditioners

Yes, have driven in Malta for many years. It's a lot better than it used to be. Drivers do obey the rules more nowadays (they used to drive straight on through a roundabout if they were on a main road and if you were turning around the roundabout you used to have to stop ON THE roundabout to let traffic on the main road pass!!) and places are better signposted.

I'd suggest not getting the car at the airport but get a taxi to your hotel, then get the car hire place to deliver the car to your hotel. You can then drive off at your leisure not be pressured straight away into finding your way out of the airport, finding your hotel etc. Where are you staying?

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Portable air-conditioners

renting a house on st elija street. the best way to describe the location is that its in a street sort of behind the city of london bar and also from spinola bay up the side st at saddles bar near the love statue.

really looking forward to it as we normally stay in hotels but we thought we would be better off here with a 6 month old with the space. booked it off www.holiday-rentals.co.uk.

a few of our family are coming with us this year so it should be a good 2 weeks.

i think we will def hire a car as we want to visit more obscure places like madelina where dawns gran had a villa in the seventies and therefore ignited dawns love of the island. also places like zebbug where she has also stayed before and has fond memories of.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Portable air-conditioners

Hmm Saddles and City of London Bar are on opposite sides of the bay. Insomma (anyway in Maltese) you are in the back streets of St Julian's - parking should be interesting but if necessary park on the hill up from Spinola towards the Regional Road (on the hill near St Julian's church) - you usually find spaces there.

I'd say go for it as you can manage to do so much more with a car than relying on public transport. Also if you are regular visitors then you can hire a car every time.

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Portable air-conditioners

yeah, the guy who owns it gave me an idea where the house is and he said up the steps at the side of muddy waters then turn left then right, but you can also get up the tight little hill at the side of saddles which runs parralel to the coast road but at the back of the supermarket and shops etc and the street is the second right.

it sounds the ideal spot for both balluta bay and spinola bay.

it is a 4 bed house with a small garden and plunge pool which only cost us 350 pounds a week which considering the 5 star hotel prices is a bargain.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Portable air-conditioners

Yeah I know where you mean so parking will be a problem but like I said just leave the car at Spinola Bay and you should be fine. Sounds like a good deal to me. Just had a look at it on the website - looks good - no air-conditioning either though. When do you go?

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Portable air-conditioners

sept 28th to oct 12.

gonna man it through with the air con lol

i think i am gonna sleep in the plunge pool

its going to be good as my birthday is on the 1st oct so we will celebrate that in style.i thinlk we may have a trip down to ta kris which i hear you recommend a few times on here as we have not been there yet.