We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How widely accepted are American Express cards in Malta?

new york
8 posts
Save Topic
How widely accepted are American Express cards in Malta?

American Express is my card of choice for travel (I tend to think they give me the best exchange rate), but for whatever reason my wife and I are starting to have a sinking feeling that American Express cards are not widely accepted in Malta and that we had better come up with a backup (which may be used quiet a bit).

Thanks,

Michale

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How widely accepted are American Express cards in Malta?

Amex isn't the most popular card in most of Europe (except Belgium where they seem to accept everything with open arms) simply because of the costs involved but I still tend to get by with mine ok. I just prefer it. I think you will need a back up visa or mastercard.

Diners Club is like the plague and universally disliked.

Be careful of the amex stickers on the doors of businesses. If you intend to use the card verify first that they do indeed accept it. Lots of stickers on doors that were never removed or put on to attract customers then to tell them to use another type of card.

Amex is widely accepted just make sure you have a back up.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How widely accepted are American Express cards in Malta?

I`m under the impression that most shops seem to have only Visa/Mastercard EPOS machines on their counters.

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How widely accepted are American Express cards in Malta?

the PDQ/EPOS machines can all be programmed to take whatever ...

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How widely accepted are American Express cards in Malta?

Scubapro - so can you use Amex in the EPOS machines shops have ?

HSBC accept Diners at their Tellers charging a 4% commission for cash withdrawals (at least they did 2 years ago) but they don`t accept AMEX. It`s strange really as it`s such a popular card.

There was a time when the Travel Agency at Font Ghadir Sliema used to accept AMEX.

5. Re: How widely accepted are American Express cards in Malta?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 13:16
Get answers to your questions about Malta
Recent Conversations