We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jelly Fish in Malta this year

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
34 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Jelly Fish in Malta this year

I've read that jelly fish have been a problem in previous years in Malta. Just wondering have they made an appearance this year? If so, in the same numbers as previous years!?

Mentioned in this post
Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jelly Fish in Malta this year

Someone has posted that a lot drifted in a couple of weeks ago. Although they've been there they've never really been an issue unless the sea is full of them. I'm not going to let it stop me enjoying the sea.

6 days and counting .. I can already see beers with my name on in the Red Lion ...

Sliema
Level Contributor
536 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jelly Fish in Malta this year

Hello, I live in Malta and must say that this is a better year. About three weeks ago there were a few Jelly Fish but it seems they are gone now. But of course this is no garuantee. Compo

Mentioned in this post
Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jelly Fish in Malta this year

HI

Just got back from Malta this week. Last week there were a few jellyfish but by the time we left (Wednesday) they had gone again. Don't let it spoil your holiday. Jellyfish move with the current so just pick a spot where the current is heading out to sea not coming into the bay. If there are jellyfish about just be very careful. The local kids were always eager to fish them out with nets and clear a patch, also eager to watch out for us with goggles - this we we managed to cool down even when there were jellyfish but obviously didn't dare swim properly.

Take some Waspeze with you - it's brilliant if you do get stung. I always carry it with me and use it immediately if necessary.

Enjoy your holiday

Scubapro - enjoy yours too, mine passed ever so quickly. Back to work on Monday, sigh!

Mentioned in this post
North
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jelly Fish in Malta this year

aftenposten.no/reise/…article2567331.ece

I understand you probably can't read Norwegian ;) but in the article in the link, you can see a picture, and I wonder if this is the same jellyfish that you are talking about?

- In the article it says that the have information that indicates that these jellyfish also has been observed outside of Malta. (Doesen't say anything about when, though.)

We are off to Malta tomorrow, hope the information given here (Tripadvisor, not the article) is still the case after a week.

Mentioned in this post
Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jelly Fish in Malta this year

Yes, MiaMaria - that's the jellyfish that we saw in Malta last week, those are the ones that are about but as I said in an earlier post, don't let them spoil your holiday. When you go to the beach, check with other people there whether there are jellyfish - you'll soon know if there are as people will tell you or there won't be anyone in the sea.

Try and find somewhere where the current is heading out of the bay as the jellyfish are swept along by the current, they don't actually swim.

Goggles are very useful as you can then see what's around you.

Enjoy your holiday

Mentioned in this post
6. Re: Jelly Fish in Malta this year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 16:19