We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malta on Monday! Insider info please! :)

UK
Level Contributor
28 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Malta on Monday! Insider info please! :)

Hello folks,

I'm going/coming to Malta for the first time on Monday 6th April, until the 19th. I will be staying mostly in Valletta, and for a few days in Sliema.

I have already researched quite a bit and have two guide books to take with me so general information about the sights to see in Malta etc. is all sorted. :)

What I'd very much appreciate is any information, tips, hints etc. about events happening over this Easter period. Anything time-specific to check out that would not necessarily be in the year-round information provided in books etc. As well as any place/activity that is less publicised/more local etc etc.

I will be travelling alone, so suggestions for evening activities would also be welcome. I read a post mentioning evening cruises but couldn't find where or what they meant exactly...

Basically anything along these lines you think is worth mentioning, I wanna hear about it!! :)

With many thanks in advance.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malta on Monday! Insider info please! :)

There have been quite a few posts regarding what's on over Easter recently so type Easter into the search box and read those posts. They tell you all about the processions going on on Good Friday and Easter Sunday, the traditional confectionery at Easter etc

Newcastle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malta on Monday! Insider info please! :)

check out this website too

http://www.maltamedia.com/features/easter/

UK
Level Contributor
28 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malta on Monday! Insider info please! :)

Thank you for the responses Twirl. I have read the posts on Easter time in Malta, (those from the last couple of years at least, I didn't want to go back further than that).

The concrete info I got was that there are processions on Good Friday and on Easter Sunday (in several places, and their times etc.), that I should seek out some interesting artwork made with salt, and try the Easter specialities like Figolli.

This is great, but that's pretty much all I got that was relevant to me. Others had asked about Mass and about activities with kids or about the weather. So I posted in the hope of any more tips and hints. Also like my post said, anything anyone would suggest as to evening activities for a lone traveller.

So more responses greatfully received!

Newcastle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malta on Monday! Insider info please! :)

Might have to let the locals help you out there. What sort of evening activities are you after? See if this website is any good

http://www.visitmalta.com/events

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malta on Monday! Insider info please! :)

Have a look at

www.starwebmalta.com

For evening cruises try -

www.captainmorgan.com.mt

luzzucruises@onvol.net cruises and Marsaxlokk market (2 hrs) fishing trips

www.herayachtmalta.com also caters for special events

www.mariblugozo.com – Barbarossa tours

From Sliema there are these companies that organize harbour cruises and trips to Comino - they also do the evening cruises

You could spend an evening in Mdina as it's lovely in the evening.

Even if you are not particularly religious, don't miss the Easter Holy Week activities as they are impressive.

At the Police Depot in Florians, near Valletta, they hold a very good exhibition of salt art - really good. The maltese for show is `wirja` and you'll see lots about.

Have a look at this site as it lists the bus schedules

www.atp.com.mt

scotland
Level Contributor
90 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malta on Monday! Insider info please! :)

There is an open top bus trip that runs in the evenening from Sliema. You can pick up a brochure at the ferries at Sliems. They also do day trips, one to the South of the island and one to the North You can hop off and on all day.

Other things to do during the day would be The palace at Naxxar, Mdina, Rabat, Harbour cruise, Car Museum, Aircraft Museum. Thats only a start.

We will be in Malta the same time , our 20th trip and still find lots to do.

Vistmalta is a good site and Click on events and Put in April and it gives you lots of things that will be on while you are there.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malta on Monday! Insider info please! :)

You mentioned Evening Cruises but I think not this time of year , maybe later in June.

www.captainmorgan.com.mt/fernandes_2.htm

Pick a place ,apart from Valletta, to visit , say Rabat , and ask the local church for a festivities programme if you are interested in these activities.

The local council website may help you ...not sure will check and advise.

Are these the sort of Evening activities you are asking about ??

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malta on Monday! Insider info please! :)

Callisto - tell us what you really enjoy doing in the evening.

There will be concerts on somewhere in Malta (remember it's small so everywhere is reachable), often there is some exhibition, there could be a play, there are cinemas, there is a musical, there will be the Mdina Festival, there will be Ballet, there is an Athletic International

Head for the Malta Tourist Office , just next to the entrance for Valletta. They have posters of all the various events and also a booklet called 'Events'.

So look up

www.visitmalta.com/page.aspx…

http://www.maltaculture.com/

http://www.whatson.com.mt/

chevron.co.uk/malta/calendar-of-events.asp…

UK
Level Contributor
28 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malta on Monday! Insider info please! :)

A big thank you for all the replies! I've checked out the websites and made notes of all your hints and tips, fantastic. Much appreciated. :)

Now to finish packing... :)

Malta here I come.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malta on Monday! Insider info please! :)

Lucky you, I'm jealous, the weather is fabulous at the moment.

Have a good holiday