We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advert or Recommendation?

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Advert or Recommendation?

As part of the debate to name or not to name a company I will always give what is my opinion and sometimes that necessitates giving out some details for companies. Most of the time it is just a name or a link and if someone is after "more detail" then they need to PM me.

All of this I do with a clear conscience as whether on the open forum or via PM I never pass details of my business interests in Malta. Those are the rules and I'm proud that I abide by them. I have other mediums for advertising.

Many times we have seen on here postings that are blatent adverts for the posters interests and some even get disguised as an enquiry as to why their business has not appeared or has been moved in the directory. I will continue to report such things for their removal but if say Hat, Magnusson, Twirl or anybody for that matter recommends a car hire or taxi firm or restaurant for example as long as they are not associated with that business interest then it's a legitimate posting as far as I'm concerned.

I accept it can be a very fine line between an advert and a recommendation.

Long live our unbiased forum.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,297 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advert or Recommendation?

As I said on another thread - if someone asks for recommendations it's impossible to answer without giving names.

In many cases eg taxis and estate agents, there are so many reputable customers that I feel guilty if I have to mention just a few.

I'm sure people value your answers - all I know about scubadiving is that it takes place in the sea and you usually wear a wet suit.

Before your answers, I didn't even know that there are different thicknesses and there are grades of qualifications.

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advert or Recommendation?

We might have to toy with the idea of getting you wet this summer ..............

uk
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo
Level Contributor
1,954 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advert or Recommendation?

i agree with you i dont have any connection with any company in gozo or malta i just give my opinion on the places i have visited or stayed at with regard to some its just really my knowledge of local companies. and places. yes long live this foreum.

west yorks
Level Contributor
188 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advert or Recommendation?

Well said Scubapro,

As i wrote earlier the whole idea of the forum is for tourist to Malta to get a fair unbiased opinion of companies and services alike, recommendations is a 2 way thing good and bad, not only that lots of us enjoy reading others opinions, i wasnt having a go at 643 , just airing my thoughts on the matter, I also commend him on many of his very informative contributions which we enjoy reading also .

Regards to all Mike .

London, United...
Level Contributor
941 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Advert or Recommendation?

well said scubapro!

i only recommend services which i am sure that who uses them will get a good value for money and i always recommend the best services i know. As a regular visitor to Gozo, i can recommend the best restaurants, the best accommodation, the best places to visit, the places not to miss, the best sites, the best snack bars, the best car hire companies, the best scuba-diving companies....always what is best for me! I can boast of the fact that of all my friends who have been to Gozo and asked for my recommendations, no one ever came back and complained about any service which i have ever recommended. I can also recommend the best services which i have made use of not only in Malta, US, Iceland, Poland and Ireland, but in most places of the world, being a lucky guy (!) having to travel so much due to business!

so let's continue to 'give' this useful service to fellow travellers.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,159 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advert or Recommendation?

I value all contributions so long as they are not obvious and blatant adverts, if they are I too will report them.

Everyone can recommend services based on their own experiences and those of us lucky enough to visit Malta regularly or live there are in the ideal position to do so.

Hat - I too have learnt lots from scubapro about diving as I too am totally ignorant on that subject and would struggle greatly to give anyone any useful information on diving so it's great to be able to say - just wait till Scubapro comes along, he'll help you.

Travellers to 'our' islands want to know the best places to visit, the best restaurant, the best of everything and we can help but have to name establishments or it would all be a pointless exercise. I use TA and cruisecritic when planning my holidays and find them invaluable.

I could even use information from the Malta forum to try out new restaurants in areas I'm not as familiar with as say Sliema & St Julian's.

TA is a truly useful website. Thanks to all who take the time (unpaid) to contribute

Ok off my soapbox now and out into the garden to enjoy the sun - might take the laptop with me!!

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,297 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advert or Recommendation?

I do hope that all posters realise that Destination Experts are not Trip Advisor staff - just enthusiatic volunteers who are willing to help visitors plan their holidays.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,680 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advert or Recommendation?

Hi Scuba

Well said , hope you werent referring to my comment ?

Sometimes , one can get embarresed if he has to recommend one outfit against another ...in my view .

I personally take great care to avoid advertising my vested interest in the tourist industry , steering clear of the subject as far as my national pride allows me .

Mike

Missed your having a go at me ....Where ???

Water on a ducks back ,while the duck is asleep ????

To all TA contributors

The More the Merrier...keep it coming :-)

west yorks
Level Contributor
188 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advert or Recommendation?

Hi 643 ,

Water under the bridge now , and only a splash on the sleeping ducks back, watch out for those hunters lol, keep up the good work and contributions to T/A and let others do the same in the manner they choose, then all forum users can decide the points relevent to their enquiry .

Regards Mike.

10. Re: Advert or Recommendation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2009, 05:33