We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holidays in late august

ireland
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Holidays in late august

Hi

We are looking for some advice regarding our upcoming holiday. We are in our twenties and looking forward to discovering Malta, really want to try some of the many water sports available and just relax for the week.

However at night a bit of fun would be good, as we do plan to enjoy our days we dont intend to be out all night. But would like a few nice resturants around and maybe a niteclub or two.

We were thinking of going to Gozo looks lovely, but a little worried that it would be very quiet, can we get some advice please?

Thanks

Dublin Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
1,159 reviews
from US$23.70*
City Sightseeing Berlin Hop-On...
112 reviews
from US$23.70*
Full-Day Quad Tour of Gozo
79 reviews
from US$93.40*
Gozo Full-Day Jeep Tour
41 reviews
from US$77.20*
Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,174 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holidays in late august

Gozo should be fine for you if you are not wanting party party party all of the time. There are some nightclubs in Gozo and plenty of restaurants and bars too. There is plenty to do during the day too, including boat trips around the island and to Comino, as well as sightseeing.

It would be beneficial to hire a car to be able to discover all the little hidden places around the island.

I'd definitely say go for it. When in August. 15th August is a big feast in Malta and especially Gozo - a lot of the Maltese travel to Gozo for that holiday and as it is at the weekend this year, the whole weekend would be busy so that you would find it difficult to get accomodation. If you are talking after that date then shouldn't be a problem

Enjoy

ireland
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Holidays in late august

Thanks that is reasuring!!

Looks beautiful and are really looking forward to it!

We travel on the 28th!

Regards

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holidays in late august

Have a look at www.starwebmalta.com as it lists the various bars according to locality

Malta
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Holidays in late august

Hi,

Would definitely recommend Gozo, especially if you're into diving - some of the best dive spots are in Gozo.

It's true that Gozo is a lot quieter than Malta, but since you'll be going in Summer, it won't be all that quiet. Lots of Maltese go there for their holidays, especially during weekends. As for clubs and bars, there a few good ones. Depends how long you'll be staying for and when. There could be a one-off event with a good international DJ.

If you tell me the exact dates I can check that out for you.

If you want more info on Malta, Gozo and Comino, check out my website:

www.maltabulb.com

Also, have you decided on where you're staying? Could highlight some of the best clubs/bars for you in that area. You can contact me here if you wish or through my website.

Cheers :)

Marica

ireland
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Holidays in late august

Hi marcia

Thanks for reply we are heading to Gozo on the 28th August for a week we are planning on staying in Xlendi.

Any further information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,174 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holidays in late august

You should be fine from 28th August and Xlendi is lovely. Quite a few nice restaurants on the sea front too. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Malta
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Holidays in late august

Hi there,

Xlendi is a great choice. Some nice seafront restaurants there. As for nightlife, on Saturday you should check out La Grotta in Xlendi. This club opens at around 10.00pm but usually fills up at around 1.00am and stays open till dawn. Above La Grotta, is Club Paradiso run by the same people - this is much smaller and usually plays commercial tracks and R&B.

If you go to Marsalforn, on Friday there's a club called the Rook in Qbajjar.

Marsalforn is filled with restaurants and bars and is the place where both Gozitans and Maltese go to in the evenings. It should be quite busy during the time that you're staying. So if you feel like going out, head there or maybe dine out in Xlendi or go to La Grotta/Club Paradiso.

Not sure, whether you'll still be there on the 4th of Sept - but if you are you should check out the Delicata Wine Festival in Gozo ....

more info here: www.maltabulb.com/whats_on_in_malta.html

I also suggest you take a day trip to Comino - a dip in the Blue Lagoon is a must :)

Hope that helped.

Cheers and enjoy your holiday!

Marica

London, United...
Level Contributor
941 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Holidays in late august

am sure you will love Gozo!

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
10,013 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holidays in late august

If you fancy a good meal in a restaurant that is very popular with the locals try REXXY at Ghaijnsielem. It is a very good price, huge portions and lovely food. Anyone will give you directions. Graham.

ireland
Level Contributor
94 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Holidays in late august

Thanks to all for help regarding our trip, especially for info on nite clubs etc., 2 weeks to go cant wait

Regards

Aileen