We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sharks

cambs
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
sharks

Hi I was chatting to a chap from Malta about the jelly fish and he said they are not a problem , it was the sharks that were causing a problem they caught one in St Georges Bay and in Pretty Bay and others have been sighted in the water near some of the beaches is this true? they are the Great White Sharks.

Comino, Malta
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: sharks

Sharks have often been seen in Maltese waters over the years some pretty big ones aswell, in fact I think the last serious shark attack in European waters was in the seas around Malta, if my memory serves me right it was an Italian naval diver or similar and I think he suffered quite bad injuries, however this was a good few years ago and the average traveller to Malta or Ghawdex will more than likely not ever have a problem, perhaps somebody can embelish my account a bit better as I can't recall all the details.

These days the only sharks you will have a problem with are the slimeshare touts that infest the touristy parts of the island such as Qawra, Buggiba and Sliema

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sharks

Sharks are very rare and the probability of being attacked by a shark in Malta is about the same or less than being struck by lightning on a sunny day !

The worst sharks you will probably see are the timeshare type which sometimes prowl the sliema waterfront !!!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
529 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: sharks

4 people were killed worldwide by sharks last year so I wouldnt be too worried.

There was a story in the times of malta recently..

timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20090608/loca…

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sharks

I think someone is yanking your chain so to speak.

I have made about 3000 dives in malta over the last 36 years and I've never been lucky enough to see a shark there although last year I did see a Echeneis naucrates (shark sucker)in Anchor Bay (Popeye Village to some).. it's the closest I've seen to a shark in Maltese waters.

The one mentioned at Għajn Tuffieħa and St Georges Bay last year is accredited as a mechanical shark being used by a foreign film company for a documentary... The report was due to it being a slow news day.

Officially Jack Smedley was killed by a White Shark at St Thomas Bay Malta on July 20th ......1956

I think what you've been told is a bit like the "there's no aligators here .. the crocodiles ate them all" story.

boltonuk
Level Contributor
128 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sharks

Sharks are often sighted around the Buggiba/Qawra area and should be avoided at all cost. They tend to hunt in packs of two to four. However they can now be easily identified as they must display their licence when approaching tourist.

cambs
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sharks

thanks everyone for putting my mind at rest as i said b4 i am in malta in about 5 weeks time and looking forward to it just getting some maltese sunrays on my back cant wait MALTA IS THE BEST

Comino, Malta
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: sharks

Oddly enough this item has appeared in today's Times Of Malta

timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20090819/loca…

8. Re: sharks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2010, 05:16