We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go for peace and relaxation.

Essex
Level Contributor
491 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go for peace and relaxation.

Where would be the best place to stay in Malta for peace, relaxation & good sleep etc but within a stones throw of a good selection of cafes and restaurants. I have been looking at St Julians, Silema & Valetta but am worried that they might be rather noisy to stay in particulary at night.

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go for peace and relaxation.

Sliema and St Julians definitely meet your requirements for nice restaurants, and the 5 star resort hotels (Westin, Hilton, Radisson, Preluna etc)are set away from the lively areas, therefore you are guaranteed a good nights sleep.

Valetta is lively by day, but is quieter at night, infact too quiet for my tastes with a limited selection of restarants.

The pace of life in Malta is generally at a more relaxed pace than other med countries, as a result even the lively areas such as Paceville seem tame compared to (for example) some Spanish and Greek resorts.

If you truly want peace and relaxation, I can from my experience, heartily recommend the Kempinski at San Lawrenz in Gozo where I once enjoyed a 4 day stay. There are a couple of restaurants within a stones throw, and plenty more a short taxi ride away. This hotel is in a very tranquil spot and has the best Spa I have ever used in a 5 Star hotel.

Malta is a wonderful island and wherever you chose I don't think you will be disappointed.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,190 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go for peace and relaxation.

Sliema might be the best option as it has a good selection of restaurants and bars. It is not too lively but plenty to do with a nice seafront with great views of Valletta and a good bus service to visit all parts of the island.

For real peace and quiet Gozo would be ideal. Xlendi and Marsaforn would both be suitable. I do agee with the previous that the San Lawrence hotel is superb but it is not cheap.

Have a great stay.

Graham.

Essex
Level Contributor
491 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go for peace and relaxation.

I've just had a really good offer of a house rental in Valetta just off Republic street. Anyone know this area and if it would fit the bill?

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,190 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go for peace and relaxation.

The problem with staying in Valletta is that even though it is a vibrant lively city during the day it is like a ghost town at night. It really is too quiet

You will be a lot better off in one of the other livlier towns.

Graham.

Essex
Level Contributor
491 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go for peace and relaxation.

Having looked again the house seems to be as short stroll from Lower Baracca Gardens. Is that a bit of a dead area for restaurants in the evening then?

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,190 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go for peace and relaxation.

Yes ,the lower area of Valletta near the Lower Baracca Gardens will be extremely quiet, there are virtually no restaurants in this part of the city.

Graham.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go for peace and relaxation.

As you've been told Valletta is very quiet at night. If all you wish to do is go for a meal or a drink in the evening then it's fine. However, if you enjoy a drink or coffee at a cafe and people watch then it will be too quiet.

When will you be coming ?

I agree that Sliema should suit you, and the 5* hotels in St Julians are also suitable. You can by-pass the noisy part of St Julians to get to the hotels.

Have a look at the Top Questions on the right. See 'Where should I stay' and there are video clips of the various destinations.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go for peace and relaxation.

In Summer Bugibba/Qawra is noisy but if you intend coming off season you could also consider that area.

Most Restaurants remain open through out the year.

(I like Sliema as it's more central)

London, United...
Level Contributor
941 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go for peace and relaxation.

Kempinski Hotel in Gozo will be the ideal place for you.

10. Re: Where to go for peace and relaxation.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2010, 07:16