We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road tax query ?

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
road tax query ?

just wondering if maltese people have to pay a road tax like in uk ? i noticed on many cars a disc on windscreen similair to our uk disc. but i am hopeing they dont cus of state of roads !! and if they do pay how much is it ? i would be complaining if they do, main roads are ok but once you leave them you have got to have real good tyres and suspention !!

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: road tax query ?

Yes the Maltese do pay a vehicle licence fee. That on top of the massive import duty hardly seems right for the condition of the roads but then again just like in the UK only a small percentage of the income generated from this tax is spent improving the roads.

There is frequently debate on this subject in the Times of Malta which can be read on line with the most debate happening in the letters or opinion pages.

Mentioned in this post
Preston, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: road tax query ?

hi, scubapro, that is why i was askin , its most unfair with the way maltese roads are , i hate payin in uk but malta rds are even worse !! but i bet they dont charge uk tax ? blimey they only have half as much roads as uk and most of em are like farm tracks !! surely it cant be as much to pay ? and dont even mention traffic wardens !! cus they even work at night in malta !! its a wonder any brits go to malta , untill last sept it had been 25 yrs since i last visited malta , and because of what i saw and expierianced it may be another 25 yrs !! dont get me wrong , i love the people, i love the food, i love the whole culture, but to me in the last 25 yrs it has got dirty ie streets, traffic, bars , its not the malta i knew 25yrs ago ! i was dissapointed. but hey things change so i am not sayin i will never go back but i think it may be a long time , mainly because i have discovered the canary islands and love them, but malta will allways be in my heart .

Penzance, United...
Level Contributor
629 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: road tax query ?

Hi James I'm sure it would be different if we lived there but we LOVE the Maltese roads, well the older ones... We are quite disappointed when we do down a favourite route the next year, and find the road has been re done.

I haven't been to Scotland for nearon 30 years, and bet that would have changed, the world moves on! Re the rubbish - you should see what I get in my front garden from locals and tourists a like, we are a mucky country as well, we just have more space to spread it about. Enjoy your holidays in the Canaries, but I bet if you hand't been there for 25 years, you would say it's not the Canaries I knew. Regards Trisha

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: road tax query ?

I'm afraid there have been loads of changes over the 36 (nearly 37) years I've been going to Malta and have to say there are quite a few things that definitely are not for the better. My pet hate is rubbish strewn about when there are collections most every day and it is not just on land. At Wied iz Zurrieq some regeneration work was done to "smarten" an area up by the Blue Grotto boat departure point but the workers decided to dump all of the waste rubble and rubbish into the sea rather than take it away. The Maltese government are so blinkered that there is no redress for this kind of thing, buildings .. no national heritage, are allowed to fall into disrepair finding it easy to blame their own quango of MEPA for any shortcomings. St Angelo is the one iconic building that springs to mind as I remember when it was handed back to Malta (31.3.79) it was in pristine condition (we were still sweeping, cleaning and polishing on 16th March '79 when we were being shipped out on 17th) 400+ years of history all but destroyed in the last 30 years is upsetting but the thing is that it is all politics and to be honest the cost of road tax isn't our concern unless we personally have to pay for it. I do feel sorry for the Maltese that have to pay over the odds for vehicle import duty and registration fees but, just like the UK, their government sees the motorist as a cash cow and certainly the councils do hence late night traffic wardens.

Maybe things will change more dramatically now that the Lisbon Treaty is ratified and the power will be shifted away more towards Brussels. Malta could be forced kicking and screaming into modernisation and spend a lot of time paying fines to the EU but I think if it were to happen then for the majority of us Malta would lose the uniqueness that we find so appealing.

I don't think many of us want dramatic changes .. maybe just a wash and brush up perhaps?

Mentioned in this post
Zurrieq
Zurrieq
Island of Malta, Malta
Lisbon
Lisbon
Lisbon District, Portugal
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: road tax query ?

Hi James

My teenage daughters used to tell me

when I complained about their quadrofonic sound coming from their closed room

"If the music seems TOO loud , its because you are getting TOO old !!"

I have to admit , what I fancied 25 years ago is no longer the same , but that is sometimes called progress or some other gress ?

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: road tax query ?

D'oh .. I wish I had put it as simply as that.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,182 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: road tax query ?

Hehe 643, my sons say something similar every time my husband says that when he was at university things were done differently ....... They both go "but dad that was ages ago" - and really, they are right. Things do change and sometimes not for the better

8. Re: road tax query ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2010, 05:21