We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

An apartment or hotel for 6/8 nights

Australia
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
An apartment or hotel for 6/8 nights

We are in our 60/70's and are visiting Malta for the first time in October 2010. We are looking for a comfortable apartment or hotel where we can easily explore the island by bus.

My husband is 75 so a lot of stairs with the luggage is a problem. We are fairly fit and know that Valetta has a lot of stairs but dont want to face 7/8 flights of stairs every time we come back after dinner.

We enjoy exploring everywhere, a nice dinner and a few wines in the evening, somewhere that doesnt close at 9.30.

Our budget is about 120 euro a night and we would like somewhere with a fridge where we can keep some drinks and nibbles cool. It has to be clean. A balcony would be nice but not essential.

I was recommended St Julians Hotel but have since found out that the rooms are over 9 floors, the hotel doesnt have a lift and the staff wont help with luggage.

Have also looked at the Phonicia Hotel as suggested but there rates are quite expensive.

Any suggestions really welcome.

Janderra

London, United...
Level Contributor
941 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: An apartment or hotel for 6/8 nights

may i recommend the island of Gozo, where definately you will have a relaxing holiday with easy access to all places of interest, since the island is quite small. Lots of good restaurants, nice hotels and lovely people.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: An apartment or hotel for 6/8 nights

Hi

we did look at visiting Gozo but because we used public transport, decided it was just a bit difficult to get around without hiring a car.

Perhaps we will visit it next time.

We decided we would explore the main island of Malta the first time and see as many villages as we can, while still relaxing in the evening with a nice dinner

Janderra

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: An apartment or hotel for 6/8 nights

Take a look at the San Antonio or the Santana both with lifts and quite nice hotels. Both are also very close to the bus terminus to get you all around the island and plenty of places to eat and drink.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: An apartment or hotel for 6/8 nights

Check out Preluna Hotel right on the seafront in Sliema. You could request a sea view room. Lots of restaurants all along the promenade which runs all along the seafront either side of the Preluna, to Gzira and Ta'Xbiex one way and to St Julian's in the opposite direction.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: An apartment or hotel for 6/8 nights

Hi Scubapro 157 and Twirl

I will definately check these out. Any recommendations re an apartment. It is so nice to have your own fridge to make some breakfast and keep some vino cold, plus somewhere to sit and relax in the evening.

Regards

Janderra

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: An apartment or hotel for 6/8 nights

Hi Janderra

Your fellow Australian Stella has been to Malta and stayed in an apartment along the Sliema promenade but I can't remember who she had booked it through (I think it was Stella). Try sending her a PM and I'm sure she will tell you.

Meanwhile have a look at this post which gives some websites to try for apartments

tripadvisor.com/…16757781

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: An apartment or hotel for 6/8 nights

Most of the estate agents offer holiday lets.

Have a look at ...

www.franksalt.com.mt

The search is up the top of their website.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: An apartment or hotel for 6/8 nights

Hi Janderra

I would agree with Twirl re the hotel , even if Scubapros suggestions are also good but in St Pauls bay .

Most hotels have a small fridge and an electric kettle , so you could still enjoy a cuppa and a bit of vino , while avoiding the stairs , since hotels have lifts , while an apartmentment may not ,and will not be on the ground floor .

October is a good month for good deals since it is late in the season and not close to the christmas holidays .

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
7,933 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: An apartment or hotel for 6/8 nights

Can I suggest you look at Booking.com site look at hotels like the Park Hotel Sliema right on the sea front lots of buses to Valetta and all over the island the hotel staff will help you or if you can look at the Le Meridan hotel in St Julians hotel has 4 lifts staff are a delight depending on your dates you should get a good deal bus stop outside the door and lots of great restaurants nearby like Barracuda and if you have any special request tell booking. com and they will arrange it and no I do not work for them but use them a lot happy hunting.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: An apartment or hotel for 6/8 nights

Many thanks to 643amc, Danny-Williams,Wrappido and Twirl for your suggestions.

I had just started to look at apartments and hotels in St Julians and Sliema but I was not sure which were ideally situated.

Some say they are along the promenade to St Julians, some say they are 15 mins walk to the promenade (usually means 45 mins in Italy, not sure if Malta is the same), some say they are looking at Valletta (is the area where we want to be) for the resturants etc. 1 sats overlooking Fong Ghadir Bay and Mediterean, one says just of Tyne Seafront, one says next door to Portomaso Marino.

I dont really want to have to get a bus to go to the area where the resturants are but 15 mins walk is fine.

Some of the photos of the apartments are terrible.

Some of the hotels photos look great, but they are so cheap that I think that they must be in the wrong area.

Also almost all othe photos of the apartments and hotels show 2 twin beds pushed together, but not made into 1 bed. Is the normal in Malta or can you actual get a double bed or at least 2 twins with a double mattress which is the norm in Italy.

In 25 years of being married we have never slept in single beds and dont want to start now.

Any extra info you can give me re the areas, greatly appreciate.

I will look at the other hotel you mentioned. Stella did send the details of the apartment she stayed in but at 200euro a night was a bit out of our budget.

Preluna hotel has a good special of 110 euro a night for a superior seaview room with breakfast at the moment, and that was one that Stella recommended so we are considering that, but see they have twin beds.

Thanks again

Janderra