We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bendy buses to Malta?

Salisbury UK
Level Contributor
432 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Bendy buses to Malta?

Do you think Malta would go for these?

"Transport group Arriva is planning to ship around 60 of its 160 London bendy buses to the tourist hotspot of Malta, if it wins a contract to provide bus services to the island.

Like other bus companies operating in the capital, Arriva is having to withdraw its articulated buses on the orders of London Mayor Boris Johnson --who wants them replaced over the next 12 years with a new generation of open-platform Future Routemasters.

Arriva is understood to be drawing up plans to send some of its decommissioned fleet to the Mediterranean, while the remainder will be redeployed to other UK cities where the company operates."

London
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bendy buses to Malta?

Hi LurkerDave

Thought you were pulling my pilsner at first, or April 1st had come early, but no there it is in the Daily Mail today.

After a little more investigation it appears that Malta gov invited tenders to run the bus service sometime in 2009 and it looks like the good old ATP have buckled under pressure and submitted their own tender, albeit as the bus owners, as part of a consortium with the agents for China's King Long and, yep....UKs Arriva.

I would imagine that if they win there would be a phase out of Plaxtons, Leylands and the other old bone shakers being replaced with more King Longs and possibly the ex-London bendies on the proposed direct fast cross island routes, although what a sight 60 bendies wrapped around the Triton fountain.

Please be aware my Maltese friends bendies are long, very long and definitely not suitable for 90% of the island routes, also they have three entrances, so not much chance of drivers chucking people off as now when the bus is full, and it's buy ticket before boarding, so new ticket system needed, but above all bendies have a habit of bursting into flames for no apparent reason & they're not air conned - so please make up your own minds.

There are quite a few other groups tendering too, according to the Times of Malta.

Cheers

Ntd

Salisbury UK
Level Contributor
432 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bendy buses to Malta?

I have to agree with the above and also that I can't really see where 60 bendy buses would be deployed on the island.

Some might be able to be used on direct main road routes but surely not for the smaller villages.

I can't see it happening but stranger things have come about in Malta as we all know.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,220 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bendy buses to Malta?

Whats wrong with the ones they have they dont need bendy buses all them drivers learning to drive modern buses would not be fair on them and a trip around the island would be no fun especially as you may not even get out of Valetta station as they might be wrapped around titan not bent

London
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bendy buses to Malta?

Hi wrappido

I believe that one of the conditiond for joining the EU was a modernisation of public transport to employ clean fuel efficient, low emission vehicles.

I think the old Plaxtons etc. run on pure crude or a mixture of sump oil and lard!!! I will miss them sorely, or do I mean miss being sore?

cheers

Ntd

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bendy buses to Malta?

Having driven the bendy buses I can't say I'd relish the idea on Malta's roads and in particular the corners. It's difficult enough with a 12 or 15 mtr vehicle but with the pivot where it is on the London vehicles all I can see is gridlock. They are also not the best of vehicles to try to reverse either in the event of attempted polite road use.

London
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bendy buses to Malta?

A bendy up & down over the steep twists & turns of the Mellieha Ridge might be a fun trip!

Ntd

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,220 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bendy buses to Malta?

They might have to retrain the drivers and show them where the brakes are.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,297 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bendy buses to Malta?

Ntd - Our old buses are splendid aren't they and give one and all a unique experience. ?

Seriously, there are so many conditions in the Tenders that I doubt second hand buses would be acceptable.

I don't think the bendy buses would be suitable on the "proposed direct fast cross island routes," either. After all the routes start and finish in busy towns. Just imagine a bendy at the Sliema ferries and going up Tower Road or Manwel Dimech Street. I think our drivers are excellent really. It's not easy driving in the narrow streets of many villages and streets.

I think a bendy for Mellieha would be a good tourist attraction

London
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bendy buses to Malta?

Hi hat

Your old buses are (joking apart) a complete joy,especially when Abba is blasting out of the drivers speakers & I WILL miss them much, they do have that little touch of empire past about them. The new Cummings/King Longs do seem to have got scruffy very quickly and have no leg room at all.

The bendies maybe second hand but are made by Mercedes Benz (Citaro articulated) and when not in flames are a very high standard. In their defence they are good at moving around tight narrow roads in central London but only where there is one way traffic, but there's a big problem with fare avoidance having three entrances.

If they turned the articulated bit into a musical squeeze box (which it looks like) so that it played tunes, that would brighten up everyones day.

Us Londoners will be glad to see the back of them though - but I don't wish them on Malta.

Cheers

Ntd

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bendy buses to Malta?

I think the main part of the tender is the cutting of emissions to comply to the EU Directive 70/222/EEC & perhaps 2002/88/EC

Unfortunately it's Brussels rather than the Maltese Government that spell the kiss of death to the wonderful vehicles we've become accustomed to.

I think the directices could also see the demise of a number of the Maltese coaches unless some serious engine conversions happen.