We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is malta a good choice?

lancaster uk
Level Contributor
19 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
is malta a good choice?

there seem to be some very mixed messages re 4*hotels in malta- we were looking at the Dolmen resort in Qawra but reviews seem to vary from brilliant to really poor- is malta looking a bit tired now?

we are a couple in late 40s who enjoy exploring rather than a beach holiday- is this where we should be heading?

please help

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
605 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is malta a good choice?

we are in our early 50s and visited malta last sept and in our personal opinion i have to tell you the truth yes a lot of areas looked like they needed attention ie roads , walkways , we did enjoy our 2 weeks but found it expensive mainly due to the euro rate and being used to going to the canaries isles which is much cheaper . the maltese people were great and travlin round on those ancient boneshakin buses was an expieriance never forgotten it all depends what your used to and what you expect out of your holiday. it had been over 20yrs since i was last on malta and the traffic has tripled with fumes to match ! we had a storm and it took 3/4 days before we could use the beach again due to waiting for them to clear all the rubbish and seaweed. we stayed on gozo for 3 nights and prefered it rather than malta but i must say again its just our opinion as many people love it but we wont be rushing back !! but its worth a visit if you like exploring its only a small island but loads to see mostly military things museums and memorials churches etc .

Edited: 23 January 2010, 01:19
sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is malta a good choice?

head for Sliema or St Julians for easy access to Valletta & other historic sites during the day & for at night to many restuarants within walking distance to whatever accommodation you chose. Valletta would be great to stay for during the day but night time activities or eating a bit limited. Qawra/Bugibba just that bit further out (more time on buses) for local transport to historical or sightseeing areas, lots of bars etc. Re hotel ratings I follow this rule that maltese relatives told me: if advertised for eg 4 star take it as 3 star that way you wont be disappointed.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,302 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is malta a good choice?

If you plan on exploring you'll save time if you stay in St Julians/Sliema. There are direct buses from Qawra/Bugibba and St Julians/Sliema to most places of interest.

www.atp.com.mt www.maltabybus.com

Have a look at the Top Questions on the right - they'll give you some useful info.

www.visitmalta.com and www.supercities.eu have good video clips of the various locations

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is malta a good choice?

I think the advice to stay in St Julians/Sliema is good. I'm a great fan of Qawra and stay there myself, however, it is a place that suffers badly from neglect with many hotels stuck in a time warp for fixtures fitting and soft furnishings. For many the quality of the fixtures are quite simply poor quality.

All that said I'll continue to go there because it suits my location needs and in the summer I like the atmosphere.

he rule of thumb already mentioned in this thread is for 4* actually read 3* unless you are going to stay at a major chain such as the Hilton or Intercontinental for example where their standards are universal

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is malta a good choice?

I suppose I had better go back to the original question posed by the OP.

The simple answer is YES ... Malta is a good choice but as ever is a matter of opinion. I think that you would miss out on a lot of potential if you were to give Malta a miss.

The country they say is a love it or hate it type place and like every other country you have to at least give it a try to know which camp you fall into.

Give it a try .. I think you'll like it.

LEEDS WEST YORKS
Level Contributor
737 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is malta a good choice?

We were in Malta for 3weeks last March and we have visited the island many times but were very diissapointed in the way things have become,the people are so friendly and the history unbeatable ,but we stayed in Qawra and it isn`t how it used to be,it makes me so sad to see the dirty streetsand the dog mess everywhere,so will not be returning.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,239 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is malta a good choice?

Coming from Ireland whick gets a lot of rain we love Malta stay around St Julians plenty of choices for travelling all over the island as well as going to Gozo and Camino. I am an amature photographer and love travelling all over all 3 islands so yes go to Malta

8. Re: is malta a good choice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2010, 05:17