We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday in October

London
Level Contributor
21 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday in October

We are thinking of booking a 12 day trip in Oct. Spending 5 nights in Valletta and 7 nights on Gozo. Can anyone telll me what the area of Gharb on Gozo is like? I'm looking for somewhere quiet, not bothered about nightlife but somewhere pretty and scenic. We will have a car so getting about won't be a problem. I know the costal area is all very lovely but the interior looks quite barren. Am I right in this? Any recommendations would be appreciated. We have found a lovely apartment in Gharb and this has prompted out interest in this area.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,745 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday in October

Hi.

Gharb is a most charming little village and is ideal for a relaxing break.

Gozo is a very small island so everywhere is quite close including the sea, so when you talk of the inland it is all actually within a couple of miles of the water.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,745 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday in October

Sorry i accidently sent that post before I finished it.

I was about to say that Gozo is not a barren place but is very fertile and green and is less built up than Malta.

You will certainly enjoy the many small villages and seaside towns.

As for staying in Valletta for 5 nights I think you would be better off staying somewhere like Sliema. valletta is dead at night whereas Sliema has a great choice or bars and restaurants as well as more choices of accomodation.

Sliema is very close to Valletta and it is easy to visit the capital and other parts of the country.

Have a nice stay.

Graham.

London
Level Contributor
21 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday in October

Thanks Graham. The reason we chose Valletta was really for the historical centre. We're not great nightclubber so wasn't really keen on Sliema. It always seems so busy and the apartments very blocky and uninteresting. Thanks for the info on Gharb. Gozo does seem a really lovely island. Do you know what the weather is generally like in early October?

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,745 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday in October

You are correct about Valletta having a lot of historical culture but I will stand by what I say about it not being the best place to stay.

Wherever you stay in Malta Valletta is easy to get to visit during the day to see the sights but it becomes like a ghost town in the evening.

As for the weather October is usually hot and sunny although nothing can be guaranteed. It has always been lovely weather when I have been there in October.

Graham.

London, United...
Level Contributor
941 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday in October

Gozo is a lovely island, and definately Gharb is one ot the most sought after villages together with Ghasri, San Lawrenz, Santa Lucia, Munxar, Xaghra and Qala.

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,012 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday in October

The weather in early October is still very pleasant. Sea is still very warm (mid-high 20's) although you do start to see a little more in the way of cloud.

Obviously the weather closes in usually by the end of the month.

7. Re: Holiday in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2010, 07:16