We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coastal walks

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Coastal walks

Hi! I have done a search on coastal walks on the forum but very little comes up. I was hoping that being a small island we would be able to take some nice walks (only a few miles at a time) along the coastline - please can anyone advise if this is possible? We are staying in St J's - end of this month.

Thanks

Craig

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,977 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coastal walks

Hi.

Lots of people come to Malta for the walking.

Being a small island it is very easy to get anywhere to walk.

There are several walking groups and ramble all over the island.

There are nice walks inland as well as by the sea. Some pretty countryside. nice little villages and plenty of bars for a rest make Malta an ideal walking destination.

Graham,

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coastal walks

Many thanks for the prompt reply Graham

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,174 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coastal walks

From St Julian's you can walk all the way to Sliema and further if you want to, even as far as all the way to Valletta (will take a fair while). Depends on your level of fitness and how far you want to walk. It is all along the coast and there is a very pleasant promenade most of the way. You could walk part of the way in the opposite direction but then it becomes more difficult as I don't think that there is a path along the beach, other than that you don't want to be walking on a busy road either.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,892 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coastal walks

Hi symey1.

As a long distance walker, I have tried to walk the full coastline of Malta.

Alltold I think I kept to the coastline for about 75% of it.

Walking anti-clockwise from Sliema.

day1 Sliema to Mellieha Bay 95 % coastline. then bus back

day2. bus to Mellieha Bay. Walked up onto the Marfa Ridge.passed the Red Tower until level with the new sewerage plant down below on the left. Aim for the plant down hill with a little trespass on the way.

Walk passed the plant on right then forward up hill to highest point, over top to Popeye Village.As you look down on the village, you want to be aiming for the road in front on you on the other side of the bay.

Skirt around village uphill a small road, You want to be off the road at a tangent to the right for the high ground. Pick up path to Golden Bay.

Follow coastline Lippia Tower.pass carpark over stream and uphill on track/path. From now on until you reach the Dingli cliffs, It's all a iffy and a bit of trespass. From Tai-Pital I walked to Rabat and a bus back to Sliema. 50% coast walking.

day3. Bus to Rabat, walked back to Tai-Pital. then along the coast to the Blue Grotto. Yes with a little trespass. then all road walking trying to keep as close as possible to the coast to the old airfield. Then inland Ta'Ghammer, then Pretty Bay and to end at Marsaxlokk 50%+ coast walking.

day 4 Bus to Marsalokk then walked back to Sliema keeping as close to the coast as possible. 90%+ coast walking.

If you dont mind a bit of Trespass it can be done in part. On the way round I was lucky to see 4 snakes. That made it all worth it.

ian480.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coastal walks

Thanks Ian, I hope teh snakes were not put there with trespassers in mind!

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,892 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coastal walks

Hi symey1,

You will be very lucky to see one, two was within yards of each other near the Mnajdra temple. I did trip up on a trip wire across a path between Hamrija Tower and the Blue Grotto.

You can easily cut the walks down by getting the bus back.

ian480.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,977 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coastal walks

Symey1

Do not worry about the snakes. There are four different types in Malta but none are venemous.

Graham.

8. Re: Coastal walks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2010, 06:17