We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Base for 3 day trip

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
493 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Base for 3 day trip

I will be in Malta for 3 days at the end of April. While I could stay with a friend's family in Gozo, that isn't a convenient base, so I'm wondering what the best place would be to stay. I'm planning to get around by public transportation.

I am extremely well travelled so I have no interest in seeing every last church or museum. My interests are architecture, historical sites and generally wandering around in pretty, interesting places and eating well- but no beaches, no late night partying - but I would like to be somewhere that has good restaurants, because I'm not up for long treks to find some place for dinner.

I normally stay in moderately priced small hotels or b&bs.

Suggestions welcome!

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Base for 3 day trip

I would suggest that for good restaurants you stay in either St julians or Sliema since both will give you plenty of choices. Also, you are centrally located with easy access to the whole of the island with excellent bus links. I don't know your budget but would recommend hotel Juliani as a good base, this is a nice boutique style hotel (only has about 40 rooms) overlooking pretty Spinola Bay and a stones throw from some very good restaurants.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,712 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Base for 3 day trip

Hi.

Have to agree with Tripalot with his sugestion of Sliema or St. Julians.

There is a wide selection of suitable hotels in a good position for restaurants and a good bus service to visit places of interest.

Enjoy your stay.

Graham.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Base for 3 day trip

I also agree, Sliema or St Julian's would be your best bet

Check out prices at these hotels

Preluna, Juliani, Le Meridien in St Julian's, Plaza Hotel

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
493 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Base for 3 day trip

Thanks, all. This is really helpful - even though this article is dead on re: how all this information has taken a lot of the magic of travel away. nytimes.com/2010/03/18/fashion/18SPY.html…

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,674 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Base for 3 day trip

Hi Tuareg

Have to agree with you , but , my opinion , is that virtual tourism aginst hands on tourism is like watching a football game on tv against being behind the goalposts with the supporters .

I am a bit of a control freak , according to my wife . Before I go somewhere I used to map my holiday with pen and paper . Today , mapsgoogle streetview has taken the problems away .

Last week I was in Venice , but my wife , accused me of spoiling her fun , because I knew all the locations of bus ticket offices , supermarkets and even good bars and confectioneries from my virtual touring the previous days .

this site has a great streetview option of venice

http://maps.veniceconnected.it/en

for a less virtual tour you could try

www.visitmalta.com

Do you have a GPS?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
493 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Base for 3 day trip

I don't have a GPS probably because I don't have a car. And I can only use my iPhone via WiFi when abroad.

I've been "very organized" for years - all my hotels, flights, etc. on a Excel spreadsheet turned into a calendar. I did it so my family would know how to reach me when I fell off the map, and now I love the organization of having everything on one sheet - although, these days, there's a copy with links on my netbook.

Beyond hotels and places to see, I use sites like Time Out to find out what's going on while I'm somewhere and if there are any shops that especially interest me, I'll hunt them down - but, beyond that, I just wander around, map and camera in hand. I have an uncanny ability to find good restaurants, so I stick with that.

Still, the columnist's point is important. How many people react to the Taj Mahal these days by saying "Oh. It is smaller than I thought." So much of the joy of discovery is gone.

So... any special tips for Malta? :-)

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Base for 3 day trip

You should visit Valletta and also the old capital of Malta, Mdina - it's a walled silent (cars not allowed) city. Both are great for wandering about in admiring the old buildings.

Once you decide where to stay come back and we can give you suggestions for good restaurants nearby.

Happy planning :)

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
Level Contributor
6,725 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Base for 3 day trip

I compile an itinery when we go on an extended trip - like this summer when we will be travelling for 3 months. However this is partly so I can identify gaps and partly so our children know where we are.

We can easily get 'lost' just about anywhere and hope to do so on our trip to Malta. We stay in an apartment in Vittoriosa and will take the bus to various sites. We also plan to visit Gozo and to take ourselves on a walking tour of Valetta - where we will undoubtedly get gloriously 'lost'!!!!

We do not have a GPS and have no wish to have one.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,674 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Base for 3 day trip

If you are in Malta for only 3 days and staying in Gozo , you will have to plan your time to visit Malta since you have to take the ferry to return to base and that takes a bit of time .

I would limit my church visits to Ta Pinu church in Gozo , the Cathedral in Mdina and St Johns Co Cathedral in Valletta .

If possible , and I would suggest it , try to book , prebook on line required , a visit to the Hypogeum at Paola Malta . Booking is limited and needs to be done early . This is a world heritage site and a real treasure of archeology .

In Valletta there are a couple of museums which could interest you , the Armoury and the Archeology museums are worth a visit . Valletta has lots of architechture which you can enjoy , including all the auberge de castilles , about eight I think , and all the fortifications and underground war shelters .

I would not miss the views from the upper barrakka of the Valletta port and three cities fortifications . The view from Mdina bastions is also a non misser . A visit to the Gozo capital Rabat could end in the old fort at the top of the hill . Three days is only an apetiser , maybe you willcome back for a longer stay if you like it ?

www.visitmalta.com

www.heritagemalta.com

these photos could really spoil your fun of discovering new things

http://www.visitmalta.com/360-degrees

but again they give one a good idea of what to expect !!!!!

Edited: 19 March 2010, 23:56
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
493 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Base for 3 day trip

Thanks! I especially appreciate the tip about pre-booking - I tried to get into the Great Pyramid in Cairo in November, which is also limited, but those tickets go to the tour groups.

I'll stay in St. Julian's Malta, not Gozo - my neighbors' wife's family is on Gozo but when he heard that I was thinking of staying there, he said "that's a really small place!" (He's from Malta) - which is why I asked for a city recommendation. I think I'll stay at Hotel Valentina - inexpensive and sounds fine.

I had been thinking of staying for 5 - 7 days, based upon some posts I read before I booked. But when I emailed my neighbors to ask, I was told that 3 days is MORE than enough - so I'll stay 4 nights. Too late to change now. And, as you said, I can always come back - I've been to India 6 times, after all, and I'm not done there either!

I will go through your suggestions, which I greatly appreciate.