We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is a day trip to Gozo reasonable trip?

Japan
Level Contributor
88 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Is a day trip to Gozo reasonable trip?

I will visit Malta late June with my wife for 5 night stay. This is our first trip to Malta and I am currently researching what to do there.

I want to stay in Valletta-St. Julian area for 5 nights and take a day trip to Gozo if it is a reasonable plan.

If I get a car in Malta, is it easy to use the ferry or will it be very busy and I have to wait a few hours before getting on? Or, a car in Gozo is nuisance, hard to drive and park?

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is a day trip to Gozo reasonable trip?

Hiring a car is a great way to see Gozo. The best way to avoid long traffic queues for the ferry is to set off early, since most people will set off after breakfast so between 9AM and lunchtime the traffic can be heavy. However, we have never waited more than about 40 minutes to board a ferry. Driving around Gozo is easy, and you will be able to see a lot in a day (at least get a taste of the lovely island), and parking should not be a problem.

I am a little biased, but would suggest staying in St Julians since this is quite central with good connections to the rest of the island, including Valletta which is best to visit by bus or ferry (from Sliema) since parking is problematic. Most of the 5* hotels have parking and I suggest you look at the Westin, Hilton, Radisson St Georges Bay, Le Meridien, Intercontinental and the 4* Juliani. St Julians will provide an excellent selection of bars and restaurants for your evenings.

Japan
Level Contributor
88 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is a day trip to Gozo reasonable trip?

Thank you for the quick responce.

Forums has been very helpful and reliable all the time.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is a day trip to Gozo reasonable trip?

I wouldn't go to Gozo on a Sunday - lots of locals will be returning from a day or weekend there in the afternoon and there might be a queue for the ferry ( not a very long one) but apart from the cars leaving the ferry with you there will be those who have spent the day on the sandy beaches and most probably you'll get caught in the traffic.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is a day trip to Gozo reasonable trip?

Get a good map , start early to avoid the queues and take care when approaching roundabouts .

Otherwise a great idea .

Take plenty of water and a good sunscreen .

Places to visit ... Ta Pinu church , The citadel , The azure window , Ninus Cave and Ramla il-Hamra , the crafts village , the market at Rabat Tokk.

Marsalforn bay or Xlendi for a dip .

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
7,933 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is a day trip to Gozo reasonable trip?

We dropped over to Gozo at the New Year hopped the 645 bus outside the Le Meridan Hotel 1.16 about an hour trip on the bus ferry to Gozo walk on €4.95 return bus to Victoria 0.47cents about 15 mins spent the day wandering all over Gozo returned for last bus €9 for a day out plus your meals but you could always bring a picknic and eat at one of the beaches.

Japan
Level Contributor
88 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is a day trip to Gozo reasonable trip?

Thank you everyone. I will do the daytrip following your advice.

Malta
Level Contributor
337 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is a day trip to Gozo reasonable trip?

Gozo is an excellent day trip as you'll see a quieter life. It's much better with a car and try t ofill in as many attractions as possibel, particularly Xlendi, Marsalforn, Qbajjar and its saltpans, Ramla bay, Ggantija temples. You should go early in the morning, taking the 8am ferry at least, to get the most out of your day. Try not to return on a Sunday evening to avoid queues.

8. Re: Is a day trip to Gozo reasonable trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2010, 07:18