We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Poland
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Malta info for early October, weather, costs etc

Hi Folks

Myself and my wife will be in the north of Malta (Bugibba) from the 29th September to 6th October this year. I am a touch confused about what clothes we should be packing for this holiday and would like to ask for some help. I notice the average monthly rainfall increases quite a bit for October so i'm quite concerened about that. Just what sort of weather can we expect?

What sort of percentages would be recommended clothing wise, for example:

50% summer clothes (shorts, t-shirts, sandals etc)

40% autumn clothes (jeans, jerseys, trainers etc)

10% warm clothes (jackets, rain jackets etc)

Also, any help with the average prices for the following would be great:

price of a main meal for 1 person in an average restaurant

price of 1 day car hire (cheapest car)

Sunlounger + umberala hire on beach for 2 people

Any other tips on prices would be much appreciated. Really not sure what to expect at all on Malta! First time for us, cant wait!!

Thanks in advance!

Poland
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malta info for early October, weather, costs etc

Additional to the above, we plan to do perhaps 3 different day trips/excursions during our week there. The rest of the time we will probably spend relaxing around town, lying on the beach, snorkling in the sea etc etc.

Of all of the things to see and do on Malta, what would be the three best things you would recommend a first timer to see/do.

Thanks

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,837 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malta info for early October, weather, costs etc

Hi.

Right, the most important 3 places to see;

1) Valletta - easily reached from Bugibba by bus -- well worth a whole day wandering the streets and some time in the Upper Baracca Gardens with its views over the Grand Harbour and watch the firing of the noon cannon.

2) Mdina -- the old historic original capital

3) Gozo --- enjoy the ferry ride over and see malta`s smaller sister island.

There it tons more to see and do ---- difficult to know where to begin.

The weather is usually very nice in October and if it does rain it usually lasts a very short time and soon dies up.

Price of a meal for two ??

That is very tricky to answer ---- how long is a piece of string ?

it all depends what and where you want to eat.

i always eat where the locals eat ( no 5 star hotels ) so would expect to pay 5 to 10 euros for a simple lunch.

Staying half board at a hotel tends to work out cheaper but gives less flexibility.

While you are out a good snack meal can be had by trying pastizzi -- the little cheese or pea filled flakey pastries that are very popular with the Maltese ---you can fill up on these for less than a euro.

car hire for a day is difficult as many hirers only do it for a few days so one day could work out expensive.

the buses are very cheap , give a reliable service and get you all over the island quite quickley.

Hope to have been a help and enjoy your stay.

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,934 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malta info for early October, weather, costs etc

Don't think you will need any warm clothes, just a light raincoat or umbrella in case it does rain, although this tends to be at night and not long lasting, and dries up quickly.

We were in Malta at this time last year and temps averaged about 25, slightly cooler at night but even then I didn't need a jumper or jacket (albeit I don't really feel the cold). Sea temperature will also be lovely, around 25 and sometimes warmer than the hotel pools.

Poland
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malta info for early October, weather, costs etc

Thanks guys, thats great.

So from that can i understand (assuming there is no unusual weather) that it should be comfortable enough to walk around with shorts and t-shirt at 11pm at night?

Were flying RyanAir who offer only a measly 15kg per suitcase so if we can avoid taking jerseys, jeans etc that would free up plenty of weight for us. Also means we can bring plenty more stuff back with us :-)

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,934 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malta info for early October, weather, costs etc

I would be fine in shorts and T shirt so I'm sure you will be ok :)

6. Re: Malta info for early October, weather, costs etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2010, 07:20
Get answers to your questions about Malta
Recent Conversations