We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

crows nest pub st julians

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
crows nest pub st julians

hi everyone

it will be a year since our last visit when we go late sept and i was wondering if this bar is still open?

i hope it is as it was a great bar run by a great guy named joe.

London
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: crows nest pub st julians

Hi bobsters

Never heard of the Crows Nest in St Julians, but sounds like its a good one. The Drapsters will be in St Julian's from 23 - 28th Sept. So if you're around then keep a lookout for a tanned fat beared bloke wearing a Bristol City top (DrD) and a white slightly less fat bloke with specs wearing a 2008 Somerset CCC one day cricket top. We'll have MrsDrD (her first visit to Malta) in tow too as for some reason I said wags were OK on this trip, god knows what she'll be wearing, more than a smile I do hope!

On the night of 25th I'm planning on having some sort of St Julian's/Paceville/St Georges pub crawl, but haven't decided on route yet, but one aim is to get a free pint of Cisk, by fair or foul means, at Andrew's Bar - normally it's hard enough there just getting a full pint!

Cheers

Ntd

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: crows nest pub st julians

Hi ntd how are you?

Unfortunately this year we have booked a package deal which limited us to a Tuesday flight so we don't actually get there till the 28th or else I would have def popped down to Andrews bar as we do like to do a bit of people watchin down there.

The crows nest is next door to dicks bar going down spinola rd next to the steps.

It opened in Jan 09 and Joe welcomed us as the maltese do so we kept going back.

The bar is only small but has a similar feel to the Sun in splendor but more comfy. I am sure you know what I mean.

Pop in while you are there as I am sure you will find it to your taste lol.(they sell beer lol)

Where are you staying this time?

London
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: crows nest pub st julians

Am very well, though my tanned legs from a back to back Malta then straight off to Madeira hol in May are fading, even after a top up of UV in Portugal a few weeks ago.

Will definitely check out the Crows Nest, hopefully it has better toilets than the S in S too, but I do like upsetting Donald by moving his beer mats around making his perfect patterns all untidy (ha, ha) not to mention doing the same to his tables and chairs outside!

We've booked 2 room in the Ally Pally, only really because they have a cooked breakfast, here's hoping that the air con will work - which by no means of a surprise - it didn't in May, I even had trouble with the room not being cleaned one day, but heck its cheap.

The brothers that run Andrew's bar always seem miserable but the staff are bright and cheery and it is a great spot especially when the sun is just about down, I love it, they say Madonna was seen there and that they received a goodwill letter from Gordon Brown on their 100yrs.

I noticed in May that the bar that had replaced the Irish bar at the bottom of the Steps (and the little baguette place next door) had been gutted again, being fitted out as another music club - mores the pity.

Can't wait to get back (why do we love this scruffy little island so much?)

Cheers

Ntd

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: crows nest pub st julians

The Irish bar was o'Caseys I think. It was the first bar I ever set foot in in Malta and my Mrs said to try a hop leaf.

It was the worst pint I have ever had. So I have not been in there since.

There are many bars that we like in st julians, all have their different qualities, like hiccups because its pretty quiet down there, the quaterdeck for the view over the marina and Donalds for mingling etc and the rock hard biscuits and cheese.

I don't know if you are a wine drinker or not but there's nothing better mdina for this in one of the restaurants enclosed little entrance/courtyard.

London
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: crows nest pub st julians

Hi bobster

"I'm praying for rain in California........"

Yep me and the good Dr always have a whole bottle each of La Valette Red with a pizza in the Avenue, its the best method of getting 3 bread rolls each and the response "a whole bottle sir?"

Hop Leaf and the other one are pretty awful beers, but I met a couple of Camra types in the Pub in Valletta who were drinking bottles of Blue Label and insisting it was exactly the same as Courage pale ale...mmmh, I stuck to Cisk - the barman/owner bloke of The Pub (forget his name) cheered me no end as he was still doing his impression of Jack Dee on valium which we first noticed in 2007.....more peanuts please mate!

Ah Charlie's cheese and rock hard crackers...bliss. But most of all looking forward to spag bol and a pint in the Olympic Bar, Mosta.

Anyone know whether the Lemon'n'Lime pub in Marsascala is still doing half price Carslberg?

Ntd

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,840 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: crows nest pub st julians

Hi Ntd

Mention of spag bol at the Olympic Bar has suddenly made me feel desperate to go over to Malta and enjoy a meal in that splendid food emporium.

Graham,

London
Level Contributor
1,353 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: crows nest pub st julians

...a wonderful place, sat outside there's the polyclinic, the police station and the Dome of course and it's a bus spotters paradise, not to mention the gorgeous girls from the bank a few doors down that walk past. The food is so cheap and they use some fantastic bread for their take away subs, ftiras etc............mmh, the rabbit sauce bolognese is (according to DrD) killer Bee!

Ntd

Lets keep it quiet though - don't want to be fighting tourists as well as locals for the rickety tables outside.

8. Re: crows nest pub st julians

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2011, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Malta
Recent Conversations