We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is 10 days too long?

Maryland
Level Contributor
226 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
is 10 days too long?

My husband and I were considering taking a 10 day trip to Malta at the end of August, but I didn't know if that would maybe be too long. What if we threw in a few days in Sicily? Also, how hot will it be that time of year? Thanks!

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,446 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is 10 days too long?

Hi.

Ten days will not be too long to visit Malta.

I go for 10 weeks over winter and feel that is too short.

There is so much to see and do there that you will run out of time long before you see all there is to see.

Malta has more history in that small island than almost anywhere on earth.

Look at the questions and answers at the top right of the Malta page to give you some ideas. Or even buy a guide book or use google to find out more.

As for going to Sicily , that is worth a seperate trip on its own.

The weather in August will be very hot, well in the 30s degrees.

Lots of suncream and drinking water.

Graham.

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is 10 days too long?

10 days is perfect

I would take 2 days doing nothing but getting used to your immediate surroundings, ie bars restaurants and getting a general feel for the place.

Then I would take the bus to valletta to explore for a day and I would take the passenger ferry back to sliema if that's where you are staying as its nice to cross the water in this way.

Then I would def have a day in mdina as it is such a peaceful place and full of history and culture and if you like a drink this is the place to be at sunset with a bottle of the local wine.

I would then catch the bus to mosta to visit the dome and then jump on the bus to the craft village at Ta quili.. it sounds busy but the island is small and you can do a hell of a lot in a day.

The best thing you can do is play it by ear and have no fixed plans as this island will have you trans fixed with things to do.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is 10 days too long?

I suggest that you plan your holiday and also get some time to just sunbathe and swim .

My itenerary would be

Day 1 Walkabout hotel area and bus ride to Valletta and back

Day 2 Day at the beach , Bus to Mellieha bay or Golden Sands bay

Day 3 Day at Valletta Museums and Cathedral

Day 4 Day boat trip to Gozo and tour of the island .

Day 5 Mdina , Rabat and Ta Qali Crafts village

Day 6 Boat trip to Comino , half day and later visit Sliema .

Day 7 If Sunday , Bus to Marsaxlokk fishing village for Market day .

Day 8 Relaxing day by the beach , pick your favourite , Gnejna bay ?

Day 9 Take a hop on hop off bus tour .

Day 10 Anything else which I did not mention !

Lots of suncream and water , a good hat and light clothing , and try to stay out of the sun !

You will still go back home sunburnt

Travel safe and take care

Read the TA top questions and www.visitmalta.com

Edited: 31 July 2010, 18:17
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is 10 days too long?

I have lived in Malta for the last 52 years and still have swum in all but 2 of these bays

. Anchor Bay

• Armier Bay

• Balluta Bay

• Bugibba

• Fomm ir-Rih

• Ghajn Tuffieha

• Ghar Lapsi

• Gnejna Bay

• Golden Bay

• ...... Irdum il-Hmar

• Little Armier

• Mellieha Bay

• Mgiebah

• Mistra Bay

• Paradise Bay

• Perched Beach

• Peter's Pool

• Pretty Bay

• Qawra

• Sliema

• Slugs Bay

• St. George's Bay - St. Julian's

• St. George's Bay - Birzebbugia

• St. Paul's Bay

• St. Thomas Bay

• ,,,,,,,,,, White Tower

Will have to close the bucket list this year

Edited: 31 July 2010, 21:49
malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is 10 days too long?

It will be hot, so 10 days is ideal as you can sight see in the morning and relax by the pool or sea in the afternoon.

There are good boat trips round the harbours from Sliema.

There are people who spend 10 days just on the beach or by the pool which I think is a shame. However, I think a mix of sightseeing and time to relax is ideal.

Do have a look at the Top Questions on the right and let us if you have any particular interests.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is 10 days too long?

In the past five years I've been to Malta twice, and for 14 days on both occasions. I could easily go now for another 14 days, even though I was only last there three months ago, but then I travel a lot, and mainly to the USA and France. Malta is usually hot, virtually crime-free, and the people - although understandably fiercely protective of their peripheral language - are really welcoming. Ten days is nowhere near enough! You need to experience the buses, you need to drive to Valletta and just walk, you need to take the ferry to Gozo (several times if possible), and lots more than I can describe here. My main interest is Literature, which Malta is filled with, but there is so much on Malta and Gozo that several visits are probably not enough. Enjoy!

Key 'Malta' into my blog and it'll probably give you an idea: www.tonyshaw.blogspot.com

Tony

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is 10 days too long?

Oh, a mistake!

That URL should have read http://tonyshaw3.blogspot.com. That was my first post, but could I have changed it? How to do so is not obvious.

Edited: 03 August 2010, 21:39
8. Re: is 10 days too long?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2011, 08:17