We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One-day intinerary in Valetta & possibly Mdina/Rabat?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
343 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
One-day intinerary in Valetta & possibly Mdina/Rabat?

Will be located in Saint Julian's. My husband will only have 1 day (9-6pm) to make the most out of his brief visit to Malta (a Wednesday) before his 2 day conference begins. Is it even sensible to consider visiting both Valetta and Mdnia in one day by local bus or should we really focus on one or the other? We love walking around medival towns but I am sure he would like to visit a few historical sites (war museum in Valetta?) with a stop for a nice lunch. Unfortunately, he needs to be back in Saint Julian's for a group dinner that evening but all other nights (3 others) are free and we could possbily plan to go back out for dinner one evening outside Saint Juian's, Once I know for certain that I need to drop one of the two cities, I'll read more up on what sites we need to visit. Thanks!

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,557 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One-day intinerary in Valetta & possibly Mdina/Rabat?

It can be done and I have posted how to get from St Julians to Mdina on your other post.

However , as you have only a short time available my advice would be to concentrate on one --- Valletta.

Try ing to do too much will result in your spending nearly all day travelling.

The journey time from St Julians to Mdina may only be just over an hour there will be waiting time between buses so it may well take up 3 hours out of the 9 you have available.

If you stick to visiting just Valletta you will have a lot more time to really see and apreciate the historic city.

The trip in will only take 20 minutes .

There is so much to see in Valletta ---- war museum, archeological museum, Cathederal, Palace, lots of churches and the upper Baracca Gardens to name just a few.

Lots of places to enjoy lunch or a drink.

Of course if you really wanted to see Mdina you could use a taxi to save time but it would be quite expensive.

These are just my feelings and hope they have been of some use.

Enjoy your stay.

Graham.

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,746 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One-day intinerary in Valetta & possibly Mdina/Rabat?

Its definitely possible to do the 2 and at least get a flavour of each. I would suggest taking the direct bus from St Julians to Mdina (35 mins) and spend a couple of hours and then catch a bus to Valletta (40 mins) in the afternoon. A bus back to St Julians will only take about 30 minutes, or alternatively you can take the ferry from Valletta to Sliema and then walk back to St Julians along the lovely promenade (40 mins walk) or hop on a bus to save time.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One-day intinerary in Valetta & possibly Mdina/Rabat?

Hi Tripalot ,

I would suggest it the other way round .

Valletta in the morning and Mdina in the afternoon and evening .

Valletta is more tiring than Mdina and is better done when one is fresh .

Suggested visits , St Johns cathedral and Museum , The Armoury , The Upper Barrakka and Noon Gun salute , the Archeollogical museum . An open air meal at Cordina in Queens square next to the Armoury and catch the number 80 bus to Rabat.

Mdina has narrow streets which provide good shade from the sun in the afternoon . It is also safe to wander in the evening under the moonlight and to enjoy the local food either at the Xara Palace or the Medina restaurant .

If you do not manage to visit Mdina in your first day , get a taxi and go in the evening . There is a taxi stand just outside of Mdina , or you can book the return with the same taxi at a predetermined time .

hope my comments help :-)

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One-day intinerary in Valetta & possibly Mdina/Rabat?

Last bus from Valletta to Sliema is at 22:20

www.atp.com.mt/atp/servlet/ControllerServlet…

Do not stay in Valletta that late , it is not very busy after 7 and gets boring after the shops close . My opinion :-)

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,746 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One-day intinerary in Valetta & possibly Mdina/Rabat?

My reason for suggesting Mdina in the morning is that it is generally much quieter with less tourists since from my experience most people arrive around lunchtime and the narrow lanes can be very busy in the afternoon (probably because as 643 mentioned it is easy to get out of the sun). Late afternoon is also a quieter time, but does not really fit in with your plans to be back in St Julians for 6PM.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One-day intinerary in Valetta & possibly Mdina/Rabat?

You could play it by ear - go to Valletta in the morning. Roam around and see whatever interests you. Then decide if you have time for Mdina. You could have dinner one evening at the Valletta Waterfront. It's worth seeing the Bastions and Fortifications by night.

Have a look at the Top Questions on the right - even the one for cruise stops who also have just a few hours at their disposal.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
343 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One-day intinerary in Valetta & possibly Mdina/Rabat?

Excellent advice. Sounds like a plan! Thank you all.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One-day intinerary in Valetta & possibly Mdina/Rabat?

My two cents worth.

Valletta: Go as early as possible & do whats free & doesnt require opening/closing times eg walk around the harbour starting from Upper Barracka Gardens in an anticlockwise direction plus its not much up & down dale. Im not fit & I think I did it in an hour. then you can walk back uphill from one of the side streets to Republic Street to visit St Johns CoCathedral (must see - can take 1.5hrs get the audio guide), St James Palace & Armory (at least 1 hr). then you can either get the ferry back to Sliema or a bus to St Julians. re Mdina as you have free nights I suggest walking around & then have dinner there, of course the Cathedral, dungeons etc would not be open but its still a nice place to walk around. I would suggest you could do both in a day but I always found that its amazing how quickly time goes by (the heat alone can slow you down)& then factoring in bus connections/times etc. pity you had the group dinner that same night could have arrived in Mdina late afternoon & stayed for dinner.

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,280 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One-day intinerary in Valetta & possibly Mdina/Rabat?

There is a Top Question about a Day in Valletta.

However, to be able to fit in Mdina and still be back in St Julians by 6, you only have a morning in Valletta. That doesn't leave much time for visiting any museum, Cathedral, Armory, etc. There should be time for a quick visit to St John's Cathedral, Grand Master's Palace and Armory and Barakka Gardens.and a short visit to the War Museum (which is at the opposite end of Valletta)

10. Re: One-day intinerary in Valetta & possibly Mdina/Rabat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2011, 06:22