We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

burial at sea

liverpool
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
burial at sea

my father in law died recently and following his wishes my wife intends taking his ashes to malta and burying him at sea ,with the site of the battle where his ship the eagle sank being the preferred place.i was thinking of taking the grand horbour cruise to do this

therefore i would like to know if this would be possible and would we need permission thanks

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: burial at sea

I am no great historian , but the Eagle did not sink in Valletta Harbour .

Wiki Quote :

Eagle was one of three carriers tasked with covering Pedestal, the other two being Victorious and Indomitable. On the early morning of 11 August, a day after the convoy entered the Mediterranean, Eagle was hit by four torpedoes from U-73 commanded by Helmut Rosenbaum and sank 70 nm south of Cape Salinas at position 38°3′0″N 3°1′12.00″E / 38.05°N 3.02°E / 38.05; 3.02Coordinates: 38°3′0″N 3°1′12.00″E / 38.05°N 3.02°E / 38.05; 3.02, four minutes after being hit. A total of 160 officers and men, mainly from the ship's machinery rooms, were lost in the sinking along with sixteen Sea Hurricanes.

Unquote

Welcome to Malta

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: burial at sea

I'm not sure what the official rules are on ashes being scattered at sea but I have been involved in 2 burials at sea in Maltese waters. 1 was a military funeral from HMS Mohawk and was when there was a Flag Officer Malta and the other was arranged by a local Maltese undertaker and then organised with the Armed Forces of Malta. I mention the latter because that may be the official route you would have to take.

On the other hand I also am aware of 2 "unofficial" sitings where we have taken urns containing, in one instance of a dive buddy and another of an old sailor, on a dive to particular sites and released the ashes with underwater prayers.

My late sister-in-law was scattered in the Thames at Windsor (as per her request) My ex Mother-in-Law requested to be scattered at Blackpool .... both unoficially.

It is highly unlikely that you will be able to get to 38'05' N: 3'02' E where HMS Eagle was sunk by torpedoes on 11th August 1942 while on Operation Pedestal. But you could look at possibly using 11th August as the designated day and I'm confident the ashes could be placed on a WW2 wreck close to Grand Harbour.

liverpool
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: burial at sea

thanks for your help,your idea sounds good sandhurst.thank you

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: burial at sea

You could also contact the Royal British Legion or

HMS Eagle Survivors 1942 Association.

FAO: A `Les` Goodenough, 3 Brimpton Road, Reading, Berks. RG30 3HY

The Eagle actually was sunk approximately halfway between Santanyl (Majorca) and Alger (Algeria) which is a couple of days steaming from Malta

Comino, Malta
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: burial at sea

Dear luvvegas, please accept my sincere condolences for the sad loss of your Father-in-law, he must of been a very brave man to have worked and survived the Malta convoy's in WW2, I am sure he had some great stories to tell and you must all be very proud of him, our sympathy goes out to your wife, your self, and your family at this sad time.

Edited: 18 January 2011, 16:44
6. Re: burial at sea

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2012, 05:45