We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mercury Direct Misleading Prices

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Mercury Direct Misleading Prices

Having found a holiday on Travel Supermarket with the above for £244 pp - a brilliant deal - I clicked the link to go to the website. The price was exactly the same as advertised on TS but when I went to the next step, it shot up to £497 pp. I tried again today and it was still the same. I phoned Mercury Direct who more or less fobbed me off telling me the correct price was over £1100!! (for 2 people). Also making me feel a fool for believing THEIR advertised price too lol.

All extras were included in the original price too.

Total misrepresentation!!!

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mercury Direct Misleading Prices

If you want to have my comments , you need to be specific and state the points of travel and the dates , so that we can have an idea what you are talking about IMHO !

Being a bit blunt , but maybe you are on the wrong Forum ??

Welcome to Malta , if you find a good deal

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mercury Direct Misleading Prices

Hi - maybe it IS the wrong forum - it was more to see if anyone else had any issues with this.

I searched on TS for 19/02/11 to 26/02/11 for Malta, flying from Manchester. Dates fixed.

Cheapest hotel was £193 (Seaview) including flights and HB. Awesome deal! You then get re-directed to Mercurys website where the deal is as stated on TS.

However, once you proceed the cost shoots up to £517. This has been happening since Thursday. Thinking it is either a mistake or you have to phone, I contacted Mercury where I was made to feel a fool and the cost he quoted was even higher still.

Just looked again this morning and it is still there, on TS and the link to Mercury.

Just misrepresentation by Mercury, wondered if anyone else had experienced it.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mercury Direct Misleading Prices

I am looking at

http://www.travelsupermarket.com/hotels/hotels-results.aspx?masterquery=true&aggregationid=8310700000000182542&p=&cid=-1&t=2|0|0|7||19-Feb-2011|Malta%2c%20Europe&act=0

and cannot find the Mercury link .

Can you help

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mercury Direct Misleading Prices

travelsupermarket.com/holidays/…2562641.

You will see it bring up Seaview at £193 pp. Click on go to site -

http://www.mercury-direct.co.uk/search.php?search=19-02-2011|7|MAN|MLA|Qawra|HOT0000713|HB||1|2|0|TSM&_$ja=tsid:17770|prd:Seaview%20Hotel|cat:Malta

Brings up Mercury website, £192.80 pp with everything included.

Proceed to step 2 and price shoots up.

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mercury Direct Misleading Prices

I checked your link and you can get the holiday for 230.68 per person but only from Leeds/Bradford with Ryanair and this is an excellent price for a weeks holiday half board, I checked it through to stage 4. Therefore it is not misrepresenting since it was selling holidays at the dates for the price, albeit not from Manchester. I normally pay this much for my flight from Amsterdam.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
517 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mercury Direct Misleading Prices

Keep an eye on the Thomas Cook site for sales we got a really good deal last week on the Maritim Antonine Hotel And Spa in Mellieha although the price did go up when we added on room upgrades and all the extras that used to be free we still saved just short of £350 each.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,685 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mercury Direct Misleading Prices

I tried to check on the Mercurury direct /Supermartket site and it is very funny how prices vary if you change the point of origin of your holiday and keeping the same dates and hotel .

At one point I was shown prices of £1340 for a 7 day stay at the same hotel which I could stay for £239 if I took off from a different airport .

In the effort to make all options available to the browsing buyer , the site misleads one to think that it is Misleading in prices .

Cannot agree that it does so to gain

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mercury Direct Misleading Prices

Thanks for all your replies - I will keep looking!! Just a note - the departure airport is def Manchester and it even has the Easy Jet flight and times pre-selected.

I am disappointed as I have made them aware of the glitch (Saturday) yet I have just gone through to it again and it's still there!

I will get there!!

9. Re: Mercury Direct Misleading Prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2012, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Malta
Recent Conversations